MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Deforming an object without stretching...

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim BrownDeforming an object without stretching...
by on Apr 1, 2016 at 5:44:09 pm

Hi people, first time poster but long time least since my first 'c4d how to...' google search a couple months ago. XD

Anyway, I'm trying to model a potato chip packet and struggling to get a realistic shape, without stretching the surfaces or losing UV mapping. The best method I found so far is to make a thin box with a soft-body simulation, using a vertex map to constrain the top and bottom edges and pressure to inflate the box. As it deflates it sags nicely and gets close to what I want, but it's missing the hard/deep creases you get IRL, especially on the sides of the packet. So my question is, can you pull points or otherwise deform the mesh, without stretching it? i.e. to move the vertex without changing the lengths of the connecting edges? This seems to be how the cloth simulation works, can that be replicated in a 3d object? Or is there another way to make a heavily creased topology without changing the surface area?

Thanks in advance for any advice, please keep it basic where possible since I am already stretching my brain to get this far....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved