MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

X-Particles Cache sharing between Mac and Windows - team render

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brendan Bennett
X-Particles Cache sharing between Mac and Windows - team render
on Mar 30, 2016 at 8:38:40 am

Hi there,

I've got 3 PCs and a MAC on a local network for team rendering.

Having difficulty sharing X Particles cache across these machines – the error message on the PC nodes is that the XP File Path can't be found.
I put the cache files on a shared drive so all computers could access but that didn't work either.

I think it might be due to different file path taxonomies between Mac and PC. Does anyone know how to share XP Cache between systems?

Cheers

B

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: X-Particles Cache sharing between Mac and Windows - team render
on Mar 30, 2016 at 3:47:42 pm

I don't have an answer for you but I'd suggest posting the question to the x-particles developers or on their forum.

Return to posts index

Tim Vaughan
on Mar 30, 2016 at 6:37:22 pm

If you do find out, I'd like to know. I had the same problem. I also found that even when using the same machines, the cache was not used. There were obvious differences between the machines. I had to come up with a different solution that didn't involve xParticles at all.

--
Tim Vaughan
Production Editor and Motion Graphics, PBS Charlotte
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Ben Thomas
on Mar 30, 2016 at 7:56:12 pm

Hi Tim,

I posted my query on X-Particles own support forum and a rep pointed me towards a Team Render set up PDF you should be able to access if you login to your X-Particles account. It has detailed support to set this up for both a Windows Primary and a Mac Primary Team Render.

Basically, for a Mac Primary Machine + Windows Nodes it seems you have to mount the machine/drive that hosts the shared folder individually onto each client node.
– so the TR node has direct access to the shared Cache folder.

Then in the cache destination file path settings on the primary machine there's an Alt filepath field where you need to add a slightly different destination for the nodes.

The example they give is that if your XP cache is stored in a shared folder called xpcache on a computer called my-iMac then in the Alt field you should paste \\my-iMac\xpcache.

I haven't tried it yet but it looks like this will resolve the Windows/Mac file directory differences – with XParticles 3.5 anyway.

B

Return to posts index

Tim Vaughan
on Mar 30, 2016 at 9:42:18 pm

Thanks Ben, that looks like it could answer my issues. I hadn't yet had a chance to research and figure it out, and you've really helped out. Thanks!

--
Tim Vaughan
Production Editor and Motion Graphics, PBS Charlotte
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]