MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Smooth Curved Texture (V-Ray Lighting)

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Leide
Smooth Curved Texture (V-Ray Lighting)
on Feb 17, 2016 at 6:57:15 pm

So I am working with a model of a tire and trying to get the curves of the tire to render smoothly. The original file was an OBJ I was given. It originated in CAD, then was converted to an OBJ. I textured and lit it in C4D using V-Ray. The curves of the tire is appearing to have stripes on in instead of being a smooth surface.

The person I got the OBJ from just sent me a screenshot of the tire on his end and the issue does not appear in that rendering. I'm not sure what program he is using.

I have attached both that screenshot and a screenshot of my render. Any ideas on how to fix this would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Andy Sills
Re: Smooth Curved Texture (V-Ray Lighting)
on Feb 17, 2016 at 8:37:24 pm

Well dude, there are one of two issues happening here.
1. The render is set on a low setting, I would look into pushing the sample rate up in everything.
OR
2. F**KING BANDING.... This will always be a god damned issue in the business. I've looked into it for my entire life, I've given up the search on how to PROPERLY fix banding. The guy that gave you the render, you see the speckle-y noise in his picture? Yeah, thats the only way thats known how to get rid of this crap. haha There are speculations on how to fix banding, I would try them all and see what works lol good luck.

Usually this type of issue is fixed post-production.

BUT, definitely look into the sampling issue as well, lets hope its that.

Return to posts index

Phil Leide
on Feb 17, 2016 at 8:40:37 pm

I actually just fixed the issue, after much Googling and playing with settings. I used Mesh -> Optimize on the model, but changed the tolerance to 0. From that point, I just played with the Phong settings until I got one that worked.

Guess it wasn't a V-Ray specific issue after all.

I've been working on this issue for weeks. So glad it's finally fixed.

Return to posts index

Andy Sills
on Feb 17, 2016 at 8:46:14 pm

Wouldve never guessed that! Google is smarter than me! haha

Return to posts index

Andy Sills
on Feb 17, 2016 at 8:39:25 pm

OU, it also might be the segment count on the actual object, but if you're importing directly and not tweaking it, then I got nothing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]