MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

PBR Textures in Cinema4D

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yakumo Tomeda
PBR Textures in Cinema4D
on Feb 17, 2016 at 11:23:00 am

Hi everybody,
I recently downloaded a 3D model that came with PBR textures. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to apply the PBR textures to the model in Cinema4D. The textures I have are: diffuse, gloss, normals, specular, color and AO.
Hope you guys can help me!

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: PBR Textures in Cinema4D
on Feb 17, 2016 at 4:38:26 pm

I haven't worked with PBR textures before, but have you tried loading those textures into the applicable channels of a basic material? For example: apply a basic material, open up its properties, select the Color channel, add your color texture through the Texture window. Repeat for the other PBR textures.

If you have a newer version of C4D with Reflectance, the specular texture would go in there. As far as gloss and AO are concerned, I'm not sure where to add those. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Feb 17, 2016 at 4:44:48 pm

I haven't watched this yet, but perhaps it would be helpful:

http://lesterbanks.com/2015/07/a-guide-for-realtime-pbr-rendering-in-cinema...

Return to posts index

Yakumo Tomeda
on Feb 17, 2016 at 6:57:49 pm

I tried exactly that, but with the gloss and AO, it doesnt seem to work properly. It doesnt give me the results it should.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Feb 17, 2016 at 7:45:46 pm

In realizing that I am completely ignorant as to the PBR process I would strongly suggest that you watch that video I referenced as well as do more research into the whole PBR process yourself. My initial suggestion came from that point of ignorance, but with a mind to help, and probably only confused the matter.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Yakumo Tomeda
on Feb 18, 2016 at 2:59:36 am

No worries! You are just trying to help! Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, the video doesnt seem to look at which channels one assigns which textures to, but I will keep researching.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Feb 18, 2016 at 5:31:33 am

I haven't used PBR textures but my guess for R16 or R17 would be:

Diffuse: I'm not entirely sure about this one. I would have thought it would go in the color slot, but you also list a color texture so maybe diffuse goes in luminance?

Gloss: This goes in the texture slot beneath the roughness slider in a reflectance layer (click the arrow in front of "Roughness" to twirl down the option. Set the roughness slider to 100% to get the full effect of the map.

Normals: This goes in the material's Normal channel. You may have to experiment with different settings to get the right result.

Specular: This goes in the reflectance layer's Specular texture slot. I'd recommend deleting the default specular layer.

AO: this would go in the Diffusion channel.

If you can post a file with the textures I'd be happy to have a look.

Return to posts index

Yakumo Tomeda
on Feb 18, 2016 at 2:01:47 pm

Hi
I tried the channels you mentioned, but it doesnt quite work.
The files, as well as a gif showing how it should look are here: http://gamebanana.com/models/3434
I have spoken to the file creator, but unfortunately, he doesnt work with Cinema4D and couldnt help me!
I would really appreciate it, if you could tell me what to do.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Feb 18, 2016 at 4:20:48 pm
Last Edited By Adam Trachtenberg on Feb 18, 2016 at 4:35:58 pm

Okay, I think I was able to get pretty close.

Here's the formula I used:

Color: diffuse.tga
Diffusion: ao.png
Reflection: (see below)

I used the Filter in the Roughness slot to invert the glossiness map.

Return to posts index

Yakumo Tomeda
on Feb 18, 2016 at 10:14:52 pm

Thank you very much! It worked and it looks great!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]