MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

GI Indoor Scene Problem

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Flo FencyGI Indoor Scene Problem
by on Feb 16, 2016 at 3:38:40 pm

Hello folks,

I've just begun setting up a very basic indoor scene and did a little testrender with the following settings:

physical Renderer
GI on - IC + Lightmaps on Mid

My Scene is lit by either an HDRI or a physical Sky with Sun.(Sun at high intensity)
My problem a the stains/splotches on the walls and also there is also light coming through the bottom of the walls if i turn down the GI Settings to low. For testing purposes i have overridden all materials with a plain white material.

Has anyone an idea what might solve my problem here?

I Have rendered the scene in 4K so you can have a close look. I also Uploaded the project file.

Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

Andy SillsRe: GI Indoor Scene Problem
by on Feb 16, 2016 at 9:37:09 pm

Hey dude, its actually in your settings.
Check the samples in your ambient occlusion (min and max samples (up the shit out of those)
Also, anti-aliasing, change it to "best" instead of geometry.

The physical camera blanks them out, Im not an expert at this so I dont know the reason why it blanks them out, but I would go with the standard setting, change those things and then maybe do your depth of field afterwards?

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: GI Indoor Scene Problem
by on Feb 16, 2016 at 10:15:14 pm

Cinema's GI struggles with these kinds of scenes, although to be honest every render engine does. There's just a lot of calculation necessary to distribute the light. If you want to use IR cache you'll have to jack up the settings to get rid of the artifacts. It's much simpler to get a clean result using QMC but the render times will be long.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: GI Indoor Scene Problem
by on Feb 16, 2016 at 10:31:20 pm

A GI Portal will help as will turning on Force Per Pixel in Discrete Area Sampling (and to a lesser degree) Discrete Sky Sampling.
That will drive render time up some, perhaps close to QMC value, QMC will definitely get rid of splotches but then you have to turn up the values to reduce grain, more time...
The light leaks with lower settings are the Density/Min/Max values in the IC settings

Return to posts index

Andy SillsRe: GI Indoor Scene Problem
by on Feb 16, 2016 at 10:54:09 pm

I think the basic mantra here is that your render is going to be insane. hahaha

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: GI Indoor Scene Problem
by on Feb 17, 2016 at 6:02:46 pm

You can also use the Compositing Tag to force QMC sampling on only certain surfaces.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved