MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Problem creating a glass sphere (Jurassic World)

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Omri Soudry
Problem creating a glass sphere (Jurassic World)
on Feb 9, 2016 at 6:28:52 pm

Hello,
I'm trying to recreate this image from Jurassic World using C4D:
http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/jurassic-world-nick-robinson-ty-...

My first step was creating a sphere and adding a glass material to it, But I'm having some problems:
1. The sky's reflection on the sphere is upside down.
2. When I make the sphere editable, it really messes up the render (weird reflections on the sphere).

Maybe I'm approaching it the wrong way. Can someone please help by telling me how they'd recreate the sphere and the material?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Problem creating a glass sphere (Jurassic World)
on Feb 9, 2016 at 7:02:14 pm

not enough info about how you made the sphere (I assume you are trying to make the opening as well), can you post the scene file (at least just the sphere part)?

Return to posts index

Omri Soudry
on Feb 9, 2016 at 7:07:21 pm

I never got to the opening part, just created a regular sphere, with a background image, a sky object (using the same image), and a floor object (for the shadows).

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Feb 9, 2016 at 11:32:04 pm

You need to create an object that has inner walls and outer walls. One way to do that is to create two smalls, with one being slighter bigger than the other. Increase their segments a fair amount before you make them editable because you lose the "render perfect" function of the primitive sphere.

Select all the polygons of the inner sphere and reverse the normals. Then multiselect both objects in the Object Manager and right click. Choose "connect objects and delete" to get a single object.

Now you should get the proper refraction. Before you essentially created a crystal ball so the upside view of the sky was physically accurate.

Return to posts index

Omri Soudry
on Feb 10, 2016 at 10:49:59 am

Thanks Adam, much appreciated!
So far, using your advice, I came up with this:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]