MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Quick Dynamics Question

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Roughan
Quick Dynamics Question
on Feb 4, 2016 at 9:53:06 am

Hi Everyone,
I want to animate a cardboard price tag swinging on a piece of string. Before I start digging into tutorials, is this even possible with the dynamics in the Broadcast version of C4D? There's nothing worse than getting 30 mins into a tutorial and then it being explained that you need cloth nurbs, or something else I don't have.
Thanks for any help
Simon

Never tell your problems to anyone...20% don't care and the other 80% are glad you have them.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Quick Dynamics Question
on Feb 6, 2016 at 7:13:55 pm

Simon, I'm sorry that no other C4D Broadcast users have responded to your question, so in case you're still looking for an answer I hope I can help.

As far as I can tell as a Studio user, if Broadcast has only basic rigid body and Mograph dynamics (for creating falling and bouncing objects for example) you won't be able to make a swinging price tag. Unless you have access to hinges (Simulate>Dynamics>Connector) I don't think you will be able to set up the basic swinging motion you need.

If so, and you don't want to upgrade to Studio, you might want to check into Newton 2 for After Effects (assuming you use that as well). While not inexpensive ($250), it is certainly much cheaper than upgrading C4D, and is quite powerful for physical simulations. Depending on the look you're trying to get, it can be used for some very impressive 2D (and pseudo 3D) simulations including objects swinging on strings.

If I am wrong about the capabilities of Broadcast I hope someone else will chime in and correct me. And in any case, good luck with your project.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Feb 6, 2016 at 7:42:41 pm

I agree, it looks like Broadcast has only Rigid Body without connectors etc. But I don't have broadcast either. Would be easy with Studio, without it (and without the AE solution) it is possible with dynamics to make a chain (with links) it is slow and very touchy but can work but it's a chain not a string. Would be possible with bones/joints but dynamics in joints 'self damp' if set up like you'd need for a string and it would look wrong (unless someone wiser knows how to defeat that).
Without another solution I'd probably do it by hand, the old way, dynamics take the work out and add realism not possible with lots of objects but a card on a string should be possible to do by hand and make it look ok.

Return to posts index

Simon Roughan
on Feb 8, 2016 at 11:44:15 am

Thanks for the answer. It is how I feared.
Simon

Never tell your problems to anyone...20% don't care and the other 80% are glad you have them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]