MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

random effector on a clone. how do I make the random effects end randomly?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chad demossrandom effector on a clone. how do I make the random effects end randomly?
by on Jan 25, 2016 at 11:48:34 pm

There's probably a simple solution but I'm kind of new to this.

I have a clone that I put a random effector on that starts off with the x and y axis at 500cm and then i animate it to end at 0cm. so basically all the boxes i have start far apart from each other and over 90 frames come together. I don't want all of the cloned boxes to settle into place at frame 90 I would like to randomize when they reach 0 cm

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: random effector on a clone. how do I make the random effects end randomly?
by on Jan 26, 2016 at 2:55:29 am

It's a little tricky but not hard once you know how to do it. What you'll need to do is NOT animate the strength of the Random effector, but instead use a Shader Effector to control the weight of the Random Effector. A noise shader goes in the Shader Effector's shading tab and you animate the brightness of the noise.

Steps:

* apply shader effector to cloner;
* in the effector's parameters tab, set "modify weight" to 100%;
* turn off the default scale parameter;
* add a noise shader (world space) in the shading tab and animate the noise brightness from 100% to -100%;
* in the random effector's falloff tab, turn weight down to 0%.

Example: 9710_staggeredunrandomize.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

chad demossRe: random effector on a clone. how do I make the random effects end randomly?
by on Jan 26, 2016 at 10:00:30 pm

Thanks, that worked. Although I'm not really sure what's going on.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: random effector on a clone. how do I make the random effects end randomly?
by on Jan 26, 2016 at 11:28:20 pm

The weight parameter tells the Cloner how much influence an effector has.

Since the Random effector's native weight was set to zero, and the shader effector was set to effect weight 100%, the Shader effector is determining the strength of the Random effector by controlling the clone weight.

The strength of the shader effector is controlled by the noise in the Shading tab. If the noise is solid white, the Shader effector tells the cloner that all of the clones get 100% weight and the random effector has it's full effect. Conversely, if the noise is full black then the clones have no weight and the shader effector has no influence.

Animating the brightness of the noise breaks up the transition from white to black so the clone weights don't all change at the same time.

hth

Return to posts index

chad demossRe: random effector on a clone. how do I make the random effects end randomly?
by on Jan 26, 2016 at 11:54:04 pm

Looking at it i figured out that white=100% of the random value and black=0% of the random value and the greys are the in between values according to how light of dark the grey is. what I find confusing is the concept of color (black, white, grey) controlling something. I'm not sure why random cant just have an extra controller called "random timing" or something. 0%= everything starts and stops at the same time 100% would be the most extreme variance in start stop timing.

They probably have much large fish to fry.

This got me thinking, I switched from noise to gradient and I animated the white turning into black and it animated in a linear fashion along the x axis with the blocks in the black area not being effected and the blocks in the white area being fully effected. Rotating it 90 degrees (2d -v) it animated vertically along the Y axis. I think i get this concept now.

thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]