MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Adding 2D rings to a 3D car

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nate Boston
Adding 2D rings to a 3D car
on Jan 22, 2016 at 5:04:27 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to add some radiating rings coming out of an animated car while it's moving. Here is an example what I'm talking about -

I have my scene setup in C4D, with a car, road, etc. What I'm not sure about is adding the radiating rings. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I have access to Cinema4D Prime v12 and After Effects CC with Cinema4D Lite.

Thanks!
Nate

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Adding 2D rings to a 3D car
on Jan 23, 2016 at 5:44:43 am

a C4D solution could be just add a disk and make it a child of the car so it goes where the car goes and then have a animated texture (an animated gradient would do) for the expanding rings.

Return to posts index

Nate Boston
on Jan 25, 2016 at 8:23:18 pm

Can you expand on the animated texture? Is that something I can create within C4D? Also, would the animated texture allow the rings to fade on/off while they radiate? I know C4D can't do changing capacities for objects. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 25, 2016 at 7:26:35 pm

The disc object would work in C4D.

If you want to do it in AE, you place an external compositing tag on the car object, that will give you a null object in After Effects that follows the movement of the car. You can then make your rings with a shape layer.
To have it go around the car, you'll need two copies of your ring layer (one for the part of the rings closer to the camera and one for the back, you can handily link these using the new copy with property links option in AE so that if you change one of them, the other changes too). You will also need to have rendered an object buffer of that car as a multipass from C4D and use that as a track matte for the back part of your circles.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Nate Boston
on Jan 25, 2016 at 8:24:35 pm

Hi Michael,

Thanks for taking the time to write this response! I did what you suggested and it worked (almost) perfectly! Do you think this method is a better approach than than using the discs and doing it directly within C4D? Seems like the discs are less work but I'm not sure if they'll yield a better result.

Thanks!
Nate

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 25, 2016 at 8:29:37 pm

It just depends on how you like to work. Changing things in AE is much faster than changing things in C4D when it comes to rendering time!

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]