MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Merging all objects within a null

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart Samuels
Merging all objects within a null
on Jan 14, 2016 at 7:56:57 pm

I realise there will be an easy answer to this but I'm stumped:
Could anyone tell me what I would need to do to merge all objects in my project (grouped within a null) into a single, editable polygonal object? I then hope to bind a joint system to the single object.
I've done it before but I just can't seem to work it out again and despite reading through responses to similar posts, nothing suggested seems to work.

Project screen-grab below.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Merging all objects within a null
on Jan 15, 2016 at 2:40:42 am

Select all the objects you want to merge, then right-click and choose "connect objects and delete". With the resulting object selected, then run Mesh>Commands>Optimize because if you don't the extrude caps won't be welded to the sides.

Return to posts index

Stuart Samuels
on Jan 16, 2016 at 4:37:55 am

Thank you. However, at the risk of becoming a nuisance, this doesn't seem to work for me. Once I select "connect objects and delete" I'm just left with an outline spline of my object:

I assume it's something to do with one of the individual objects (perhaps the caps on the "Logo" object?) but I can't seem to figure it out.

Return to posts index

Mark Ha
on Feb 1, 2017 at 11:12:28 pm

Hi Stuart.

I'm experiencing the same problem. Did you manage to find out the answer? I would love to find out how to do this.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Feb 2, 2017 at 12:12:56 am

you can't do a Connect and Delete with parametric objects (in the example case it's the two Sweeps and the two Extrudes) they have to be made editable first then the resulting poly objects can be connected

Return to posts index

Mark Ha
on Feb 2, 2017 at 4:00:07 pm

Thanks Brian, You've clarified it, but for anyone who wants a super clear way of how to do it here are the steps.

1. Right-click on the null object and select "select children"
2. Right-click on the null object and select "make editable"
3. Right click on the null object and select "Connect Objects and Delete"

Once you've done these three steps you will have a single object.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]