MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Samplistic awesome video on Vimeo

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Syed IqbalSamplistic awesome video on Vimeo
by on Dec 25, 2015 at 4:23:17 pm

Hi there,
I just saw and impressive breakdown of a video done by Michael of Samplistic on Vimeo. Title of video is "Making of Microsoft’s Modern Workplace open titles" and it can be viewed on Vimeo dot com/109649282

At 1:03 or so, he has done a few shockwaves for lighting, flash light and distortion effect. I would like to know the technique of doing this. Not sure if this was done directly inside C4D or in AE.

Your help would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Samplistic awesome video on Vimeo
by on Dec 25, 2015 at 10:51:54 pm

It looks like it was done in Cinema, based on some of the wireframe screencaps. There's a number of way it could be done using deformers with falloff. Could be a morph deformer, or a displacement deformer, or a spline deformer.... Etc.

Return to posts index

Syed IqbalRe: Samplistic awesome video on Vimeo
by on Dec 27, 2015 at 6:54:00 pm

Thanks a lot Adam. I also received a response from Michael (the artist behind the scenes). He has told me that he used a spot light and animated the Y position of it along with some other adjustments. Below is his response to be more precise:

Thanks. You got it. I did a talk for Maxon at NAB 2015 ...but that was one thing I didn't have time for in the talk. The shock waves are very simple: a spot light aimed down and is animated to go up on the Y axis. You can create rings (rather than a circle) by adjusting the color gradient of the light falloff. I created green and red rings and then tinted them in after affects. But I also used the green and red to control a distortion map to add that warping-feeling. (the "light flash" was just another poly fx plain effector moving fast with a very short falloff)....Using different blend modes in AE really helps get a lot of looks out of these layers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved