MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

How to add in edge loop detail without pinches/tight lines?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel De SilvaHow to add in edge loop detail without pinches/tight lines?
by on Dec 17, 2015 at 1:16:28 pm

Hey guys,

This is a problem I've been struggling with for a while now and really need some help with.

When it comes to sub-d modelling i struggle with modelling in lines and detail on objects with roundness that results in pinches or really tight edges on the model.

For example I've included my cinema file with two of these examples, on the left is how I have attempted to add edge loops which resulted in tight lines which can be seen and on the right I have left the low poly models for anyone who might have a spare moment to show me how it's done properly and efficiently?

9573_forsolve.c4d.zip

Would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Dan.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: How to add in edge loop detail without pinches/tight lines?
by on Dec 17, 2015 at 9:49:28 pm

There are ways to tweak the mesh for a better SDS result, but are you sure you really need to use SDS for this? Why not use the bevel tool which is much more straightforward?

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: How to add in edge loop detail without pinches/tight lines?
by on Dec 17, 2015 at 10:02:35 pm

he's using R14 so it's the old bevel tool.

Return to posts index

Daniel De SilvaRe: How to add in edge loop detail without pinches/tight lines?
by on Dec 17, 2015 at 10:30:32 pm

Yes I'd like to learn how to do detail on sub d meshes properly, would you mind showing me how this could be done through edge loops and also bevelling? Would really appreciate it!

Return to posts index

by on Dec 18, 2015 at 4:24:21 am

run out of time, here is a file which has a couple versions of bevels to show the difference between R14 and R15+ bevels and a partial cleanup of your original attempt (that's where I ran out of time). It's sort of the right idea but it has too may lines/cuts - you need to make the cuts to make all the loops needed to keep your corners clean in a subD but in the parts where the object is supposed to be smooth the extra cuts (along the bottom and top which, I assume, you want to be smooth curves) make the 'pinches' you talk about and they can't be there. It helps to plan ahead to make the fewest extra edges but for those you can't avoid making select the edges and use the Dissolve command (it has to be Dissolve) to get rid of them.

9575_forsolvebj.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

by on Dec 18, 2015 at 11:55:56 am

Hi Brian,

Thanks for putting in the time to show me really appreciate it! When you say the bottom and top edges to make the smooth curve that create the pinch shouldn't be there, how would you create the smooth curve without them?

I see that it looks like there is a massive difference between the beveling tools in R14 to R15+! Is this how people cut details into high poly models then? With the beveling techniques you've shown in the file?

It seems like the most efficient, I seem to make the constant mistake of making far too many cuts.

Thanks!

Dan.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 18, 2015 at 4:58:01 pm

read the help for SubD/HyperNurb but in general you want the minimum cage possible for max smoothness and only put in extra edges when you need extra detail. Bevels can be part of that but they are also very useful if you are modelling without subD. Whatever works is the way to go.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: How to add in edge loop detail without pinches/tight lines?
by on Dec 18, 2015 at 4:33:58 pm

Brian covered the bevel tool, which is really much better in version R15+.

Here's a couple ways you can minimize the creasing using SDS modeling:
9576_sdsextrudeincylinder.c4d.zip

I should have used two cylinders because the topology on the right kind of screwed up the topology on the left by creating an ngon over there, but I think you'll get the idea. On the left hand side the idea is to widen out the loop in areas where you don't want sharp edges or creases. The slide tool is useful for that.

On the right the idea is to create a loop around the extrusion while adding as little additional geometry as possible, and maintaining an all-quad mesh.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 22, 2015 at 10:41:14 am

Sorry for the delayed reply!

Thanks for taking the time to show me this guys, much appreciated. I think this has definitely helped me to understand adding detailed cuts a bit more!

Adam what steps did you take to make the corners on the right quads? Trying to visualize it in steps!

Thanks again,

Dan.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 22, 2015 at 11:12:46 am

Whilst were on the subject of quads, how would you make these triangles into quads efficiently? I have attached the original triangle problem image, as well as two images of my attempts. the first image is my attempt that I thought would be the most efficient way of converting it into quads? I still can't seem to end up in quads on the inner panel somehow which I'm still trying to solve.

Thanks again for all the help!

Dan.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]