MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Creating a plane or sweep with holes in it that match holes in image projected onto it.

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg SageCreating a plane or sweep with holes in it that match holes in image projected onto it.
by on Dec 10, 2015 at 2:21:10 am

Essentially, I want to sweep a spline with a circle, and project a repeating image onto the resulting tube that has transparent portions (holes). I have experimented and found that c4d either treats the transparent portions as black, or I am seeing through them to a blank (black) shape underneath. Either way, I'm not seeing through the tube where the holes are in the image. I want to.

Is there a simple way to do this, or...

Maybe a not so simple way like taking the image into Illustrator, tracing the holes, importing it to make a plane, and wrapping that plane somehow, then projecting the image on to the wrapped plane?

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Creating a plane or sweep with holes in it that match holes in image projected onto it.
by on Dec 10, 2015 at 3:54:22 am

anything behind the object or is it just the default black background you are seeing? "Project" the texture? Are you using camera mapping (if so, are you projecting from the camera you are viewing from? then you'd definitely see the black background)
It might be easier if you could post the "Save with Assets" version of the scene file.

Return to posts index

Greg SageRe: Creating a plane or sweep with holes in it that match holes in image projected onto it.
by on Dec 11, 2015 at 2:17:47 am

Well, after a bunch more trying, it would appear that it doesn't matter what's loaded in for image in color, and it doesn't matter whether the image is a transparent png since transparent gets treated as black, but the one thing that does matter is the image loaded in to transparency panel for the material... and that white is transparent.

That's what was screwing me up. My images were very dark except for transparent parts.

Anyway, do I have this right now? Basically, I need to create images that match may mapped images, but are all black for the opaque parts, white for the transparent, then load that into the transparency panel?

Sorry, not sure how to post the "save with assets" version since it won't let me select the folder that contains both the project and the assets, but rather makes me keep going until I select a file.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Creating a plane or sweep with holes in it that match holes in image projected onto it.
by on Dec 11, 2015 at 2:35:56 am

yes, that's right - though the black and white are default but it's possible to invert that in the Alpha channel if you do have an alpha channel which is "backward" without having to redo it

Return to posts index

Greg SageRe: Creating a plane or sweep with holes in it that match holes in image projected onto it.
by on Dec 11, 2015 at 5:43:42 pm

Are you talking about just adjusting the black and white points in the shader for the image, or something else? I wasn't able to invert it any other way. I ended up creating a separate image with pure black for all opaque parts and pure white for all transparent, though it would be nice not to have to.

Still digging into a few of the options.

Also worth mentioning for anyone stumbling across this. If you have normal map that includes portions you are masking out with transparent panel, it will add shading to the portions that should be transparent. Couldn't find a way around this, so I ended up fixing by taking the normal map into photoshop, masking out the portions that I'm making transparent, and replacing them with black. Solved the issue.

I have another related question, but it's really a new topic beyond the title here, so will do in another thread.

thx

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]