MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Texturing error with imported .WRL files (everything is block colours)

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Isaac BlancTexturing error with imported .WRL files (everything is block colours)
by on Dec 5, 2015 at 2:44:45 pm

I want to apply a brushed metal texture (rather like this) to my model in Cinema 4D. I had assumed this would be a simple process but I've run into issues.

Firstly however, some background info...
The model itself was made in Autodesk Inventor, transferred to 3DS Max and then exported as .WRL so that I could import it into C4D. I'm sure so many file conversions was not ideal, but there are very few ways to transfer files from Autodesk Inventor to Cinema 4D.

Once I had the file inside of C4D, I renamed the different solids within the model (it's a pretty complicated model) and organised them into different nulls to make everything a little easier to work with.

I then downloaded some materials (.lib4d files) that I thought would look good. I placed these files into Applications>MAXON>CINEMA 4D R14>library>browser and restarted C4D so that it would recognise the new materials. This all worked fine and I opened the new materials and applied them to the model. I set up a camera, set up my render settings (global illumination, ambient occlusion) and made a sky object with an HDRi texture for lighting.

My issue:
However, when I did a render preview, the material lacked all of the texture and variation that I had expected. I used a black brushed metal texture and a brushed steel texture. The former of the two came out as block colour black and the steel texture came out as just block silver/grey.

I tried a whole bunch of different downloaded materials and kept running into the same issue. I even tried making some of my own materials (which, for the record, I'm not very good at), but they had the same issue as before. The materials that come with Cinema 4D all worked flawlessly, but they weren't materials that I wanted.

Finally, I tried making a UV map for the model but this took the computer so long that I ended up force-quitting C4D. I then tried making a UV map for just one small component of the model and, whilst the computer managed to do this a lot quicker, the resulting UV map was just an odd jumble of short, disconnected lines.

End note...
As you can probably tell, I am not very experienced with C4D. Any help would be enormously appreciated.

Software used:
Cinema 4D R14
Autodesk Inventor Professional 2016
3DS Max 2016

Computer used:
Apple iMax with an i5 Processor and 8GB of RAM

HDRi used:

A few of the materials I tried:
And the materials linked to in this YouTube video:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved