MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Modelling a bowl of peas and carrots

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Rijkaard
Modelling a bowl of peas and carrots
on Nov 21, 2015 at 9:48:55 pm

Hi

I am new to modelling, but understand lighting and dynamics in c4d.

I would like some tips and pointers on how to start modelling photo-realistically a bowl of peas and carrots.
I basically want to remake the attached image, including difference and repetition between peas and carrots.

Can anyone help point me to a resource for starters? In particular if you think there might be third party apps, which could help.
many many thanks

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Modelling a bowl of peas and carrots
on Nov 22, 2015 at 5:19:54 am

the carrots look like they can be done with just a piece or two and differences done by applying some randomness to the clone's size. The peas look like you are going to have to model a number of different peas to get the variation needed though. Depending on whether it's a still only or if animation you can get a lot of difference in the peas if noises are used in World space so the textures are different depending on where they are but if the peas are animating they move through the noise and that would be a bad thing...

Return to posts index

Paul Rijkaard
on Nov 22, 2015 at 11:12:03 am

Thanks Brian,

Can I ask about the basic strategy to make a scene like this. I am looking eventually to output it as video, but there won't be any movement, just playing with lights. 

Would it be crazy to do the following in order to get the peas and carrots into a believable arrangement before turning the camera on:

model several pea shapes and several carrot shapes, duplicate them, so that there is the required amount. Give them collision tags. to then drop them, from some kind of container, into a bowl, so as to get a realistic arrangement of the vegetables, including randomness.

I can imagine that there are ways to do it with array or cloner objects. But I still want as much as possible, to give the sense of difference between the peas. 

Many thanks  

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Nov 22, 2015 at 3:30:37 pm

You've got the right idea. Dynamics is the only realistic way to get the objects piled up without intersecting each other.

Return to posts index

Paul Rijkaard
on Nov 22, 2015 at 8:09:58 pm

Thanks Adam

does it make sense to include a host of individual modelled peas, or would this kind of dynamics work with a cloner tool?

Thanks

Paul

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Nov 23, 2015 at 10:04:54 pm

Since you want some variation you'd probably want to have at least 3-4 variations of the pea and carrot. You could put them all in a cloner, or you could use particles to fill the bowl (with dynamics).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]