MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Issue with Sketch and Toon I can't solve

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Davis
Issue with Sketch and Toon I can't solve
on Nov 17, 2015 at 1:22:06 pm

Hi C4Ders,

I need some advice with sketch and toon, I have built a character rig (image_one) in C4D and I am using Sketch and toon to make him a line drawing. However my client now needs a thick outline around the whole model.

image_one.png

I tried rendering out three different renders from Cinema a thin line version of my model a thick lined version of my model and an alpha mask. To composite in after effects using a trackmatt.

The problem I have come across is when the character crosses in front of himself I loose the thick outline. (image_two)

image_two.png

So I think I need to find a solution in sketch and toon but I am a bit inexperienced with this module

So for my character to render lines I have my thickness set to 1.5 and have folds/creases/border checked in the material. (image_three)

image_three.png

and when I render the thicker lines I set my material thickness to 7

I have tired to to use outline but I get this result (image_four)

image_four.png

I could really do with some help in solving this issue I will upload my project file too.

9470_example.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Issue with Sketch and Toon I can't solve
on Nov 17, 2015 at 5:20:31 pm
Last Edited By Brian Jones on Nov 17, 2015 at 5:24:19 pm

part of the problem is the parts of the body mostly have at least one poly with inverted normals, if the normals are aligned (all the fronts faces pointing outward (or all the back faces out, it doesn't matter as long as they all are pointing the same direction)) that gets rid of the gaps in the Outline lines (and weird angles if Hidden materials are used)
otherwise it's just a matter of using the sketch setting and a Style Tag with Mix set to Add in the Main tab
(red outline just for visibility while testing)
9471_stheavyoutinetrial.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Chris Davis
on Nov 17, 2015 at 6:11:35 pm

Hi is it possible for you to tell me how you flipped the normals I have 4 of these characters and can't figure out how to get the same result. Did you get my reply saying thank you by the way as I don't see it here in the thread.

Return to posts index

Chris Davis
on Nov 17, 2015 at 6:15:21 pm

Don't worry I figured it out

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]