MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Again: Importing 123D object w/three UV-mapped Jpeg textures to C4D -> Problem... (ENCLOSURES)

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Per Sverre Wold-Hansen
Again: Importing 123D object w/three UV-mapped Jpeg textures to C4D -> Problem... (ENCLOSURES)
on Nov 14, 2015 at 11:44:37 pm

C4D import of multi-textured (multi-)UV-mapped mesh. -> Trying here again - Now with enclosed reference images.

Process:

1) 21 still images (of small baby "Sondre") sent to 123D Catch
2) Return of obj-object w/*.mtl and three textures.
(C4D (R15) does not accept this obj file)

3) Import *.obj to MeshMixer - No problem - Looks fine. (Enclosures)

But I want to edit the mesh (Sculpting) and textures (BP) in C4D. Tried numerous conversions via MeshMixer, MeshLab, Polytrans64, etc. to various formats.

4) Most success was import to C4D of the sample project shown: Based on a *.lws -file.

THAT one imported OK to C4D, but with only ONE material - But it has retained the UV-meshes in ONE Tag. (Textures had to be added manually in BP).

However - the three UV-meshes are on top of each other. The last image shows a square selection done to the UV-mesh -> Showing the resulting THREE selections in the object window.

How-the-heck do I separate these? - To be able to assign the three textures to their corresponding UV-mappings?

Please help - To be 3D-printed as a Christmas gift...

(If you care: Please try the enclosed, initial obj file (etc.) from "123D Catch")

Any help MUCH appreciated!

9455_sondreobj.zip

PerS

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Again: Importing 123D object w/three UV-mapped Jpeg textures to C4D -> Problem... (ENCLOSURES)
on Nov 17, 2015 at 5:32:02 pm

in the OBJ Import dialog Try setting General/Splitting to Materials - different placement but a quick test makes it look like the materials are in the right place

Return to posts index

Per Sverre Wold-Hansen
Re: Again: Importing 123D object w/three UV-mapped Jpeg textures to C4D -> Problem... (ENCLOSURES)
on Nov 27, 2015 at 11:44:17 am

Thanks Brian - However, I do not find the "General/Splitting" for "Materials" in the OBJ import dialog - that you mention... All I see is "Main, Auto-Bitmaps, Paths, Surfaces, Ena-1, Ena-2" (I'm on R15).

But I managed to reduce to ONE bitmap/ONE UV-map through after successful import of the THREE textures: "Bake Object". Still a problem though:

* Due to erase of parts of original mesh model (surroundings) lots of the new texture is unused. And I have numerous loose UV-mesh islands with correct bitmap underneath. --> Is it possible to compact this by moving the mesh islands - AND its corresponding bitmap element - SIMULTANEOUSLY? I.e. drag the pieces together - Then remove un-used portion of the bitmap ("cut" in Photoshop to reduce number of pixels hor/vert).

* In a different model the UV-mesh has flaws after Bake Object. Now overlapping pieces of the UV-mesh results in (Body Paint) painting in ONE place - affects the texture in OTHER places...

PerS

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Nov 27, 2015 at 3:32:01 pm

Yeah I have R17 and I know they did work on the .obj importer in 17 and/or 16. Here is the result you get 9512_123dbymaterials.zip I don't know if that is useful to you as I haven't used BP that much and have only a rudimentary understanding - what I have done leads me to believe it does have a fair amount of power if it can do what you ask I don't know. I know Adam has talked about UVLayout as being easier in the past.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]