MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Physical DOF & Depth Map

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron PozzerPhysical DOF & Depth Map
by on Oct 13, 2015 at 12:35:04 am

so im trying to do a render with the physical DOF (no prob), but i cant seem to figure out how to set up the depth map settings in the camera to be separate from where the focus point is. the focus distance is always either the nearest or furthest point in the depth map, which makes the depth pass useless because the focus distance is nowhere near the furthest point of the scene.

the only way i know how to set the depth map distance is via the camera settings, details, and then adjusting the DOF Map Front blur end amount. Using both he front and rear blur maps distances results in some weird double depth settings where it goes from black to white and back to black... so also useless.

anyway, seems silly that the only way to set a depth map distance is directly attached to the focus point, but thats how it seems, unless im missing something.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Physical DOF & Depth Map
by on Oct 13, 2015 at 1:34:39 pm

Yeah, unfortunately the Depth pass is tied to the focal point, so you would have to render twice if you want to render DOF and a true depth map.

For depth what I do is set the focal point at the nearest object in the scene and then use only rear blur, setting the rear blur distance to the farthest object in the scene.

If you do need to render twice you can set up a depth render that should go pretty quickly, since it doesn't require any lights, materials, or effects (like GI, AO, etc.).

Return to posts index

Aaron PozzerRe: Physical DOF & Depth Map
by on Oct 13, 2015 at 1:46:23 pm

bah, i was hoping that wasnt the case. ya, i thought of a workflow if i had to render twice. its just unfortunate cause id have to render the DOF twice as well, which already added a good chunk to each frame time. oh well. thanks for confirming.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved