MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Potential customer. Stability Cinema 4d?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael JohnstonPotential customer. Stability Cinema 4d?
by on Sep 28, 2015 at 1:15:13 am

How stable is Cinema 4D?

I'm asking that after reading this thread: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=47&t=1215144

Yes, Maxon released a hotfix, but with this comment: "Hence we are publishing a patch which will fix some of the issues with the NVIDIA drivers"

Notice how they wrote: "will fix SOME of the issues".

So did Nvidia or Maxon ever solve these issues? I'm a little bit weary about buying C4D R17, when these problems weren't solved by Maxon and/or Nvidia.

Return to posts index

Nolan ScottRe: Potential customer. Stability Cinema 4d?
by on Sep 28, 2015 at 3:04:53 am

Well, I am using the NVIDIA 346.02.03f01 Driver / Cinema R17 / OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite.

So far, everything works pretty marvellous. The odd “freeze” with some Materials.
Specially the Concrete Materials from the Preset Folder causing issues.

Not sure, if the OS X Default Graphic Driver works any better ?

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Potential customer. Stability Cinema 4d?
by on Sep 28, 2015 at 3:19:03 am

I would stick with the OSX drivers (at least for now) - I have a PC nvidia in my Mac and was running the nVidia drivers but it's more stable with the OSX drivers - started in 10.9, 10.10 was good now running well in 10.11 GM

Return to posts index

Michael JohnstonRe: Potential customer. Stability Cinema 4d?
by on Sep 28, 2015 at 3:46:34 am

I don't use a Mac.

To clarify, I want to hear the status of the issues and not about personal experiences, because I could find 10 people who don't have any issues with C4D, but also find 10 that do, if you know what I mean.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Potential customer. Stability Cinema 4d?
by on Sep 28, 2015 at 2:12:41 pm

well, on a Mac, rock solid excepting for the occasional 3rd party plugin which can cause trouble particularly with new versions of C4D (when some plugins will have to be recompiled for the new API). Judging by the threads, pretty much the same on the PC side but more trouble making sure your video card drivers are correct but that's fairly normal for any 3D program. But that's just watching the threads...

Return to posts index

Michael JohnstonRe: Potential customer. Stability Cinema 4d?
by on Sep 28, 2015 at 11:50:57 pm

> "but more trouble making sure your video card drivers are correct"

All the customer needs to do is making sure that he has the latest drivers. It's not the customer that needs to go through the trouble to fix the issues, it's the developer of the software or Nvidia.

I've always considered it unacceptable when a developer suggests to roll back the driver, unless it's a temporary solution. All of us have a lot more than just one program relying on the driver, that's why the focus should always be on making the software compatible with the latest driver, unless there's a clear mistake on the driver side that needs to be solved first.

Potential customers like me who are willing to spend almost $4,000 are reading that Cinema 4D R16 users are turning off OpenGL or rolling back their driver to avoid crashes on Windows systems. That doesn't sound very encouraging to potential customers like me don't you think? It's a lot of money...

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Potential customer. Stability Cinema 4d?
by on Sep 29, 2015 at 5:27:54 am

Traditionally Cinema 4D has probably been the most stable 3D application on the market, and in my experience that's still the case. All graphics-intensive applications will occasionally have problems due to driver changes beyond software developers' control.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]