MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

What is the equivalent to typing "value[]" in an AE expression?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan PatersonWhat is the equivalent to typing "value[]" in an AE expression?
by on Sep 25, 2015 at 8:40:04 pm
Last Edited By Ryan Paterson on Sep 25, 2015 at 8:41:15 pm

Trying to use a percentage slider to control multiple lights with different intensity values. In AE I would just type "sliderValue * value" but I can't seem to get an equivalent in Cinema. My first idea was obviously to do this-

But that doesn't work of course because the value gets reset every frame and it just runs into a wall immediately. I get this problem all the time so hopefully I can just get a universal solution here and not have to worry about it anymore. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: What is the equivalent to typing "value[]" in an AE expression?
by on Sep 26, 2015 at 4:15:31 am

For the setup you're using I would employ a constant node to input the top value of the Math node rather than the Light's value. So, for example, if you light has an intensity of 100%, create a constant node with a value of 1.

But there's an easier way to do this if you want to affect all of the lights in your scene. You can make use of the Render Settings>Options>Global Brightness function.

First, create a null and add a user data percentage slider. Then right-click on the slider name and select from the menu Xpressions>Set Driver. Then right-click on the aforementioned Global Brightness property and select Xpressions>Set Driven (relative or absolute -- doesn't matter here).

Now your slider will control the relative brightness of all scene lights and the slider can be animated (unlike the render setting).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved