Making metaball droplets roll down a surface

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hayden Martin
Making metaball droplets roll down a surface
on Sep 21, 2015 at 5:05:20 am

Hi

I'm creating a statue that is eroded by metaball acid rain

I need the rain to land on the surface of the statue and gradually roll down it's surface

I have the erosion side of things covered with the collission deformer, but i'm struggling to get the water to realistically roll from to landing zone, around to the drip zone

I tried creating a grid of splines with dynamics and an adjusted rest position as droplet paths which make them almost cling to the surface but annoyingly these rain drops would always fall in the same pattern - rain is random, so how would i do this with an emitter?

Thanks

Hayden

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Making metaball droplets roll down a surface
on Sep 21, 2015 at 6:28:47 pm
Last Edited By Brian Jones on Sep 22, 2015 at 2:21:41 pm

x-particles would be easy (at least the flowing on the surface part) but without, perhaps the TP Move On Surface preset...

Return to posts index

Hayden Martin
on Sep 22, 2015 at 6:29:51 am

I'm sorry, I don't follow. Your comment has lost me - could you please reiterate?

Here is a breakdown that demonstrates nearly exactly what I want:

thinking particles - rain on car - wip001 from Ederer on Vimeo.

The only difference is that this demo does not feature rain drops falling through the sky and making contact with the surfaces...

I'm not too worried if this is the case but it would be ideal to figure out how to get these particles to;

1. Fall from an emmiter,

2. Stick to a surface,

3. Roll down it,

4. Build up and proceed to fall off.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Sep 22, 2015 at 6:31:46 pm

ahh, a few errors in my post (edited now) x-particles easy, TP is possible. In that example (it's way easier when there is an example of what you are trying for)
- as you say there is no falling rain there, the rain just spawns on the surface and I suspect there is a separate emitter for the drops that leave the surface...
- I think the trails in the example wander too much for a car at speed (for whatever that's worth)
- the trail of spawned particles from each "parent particle" (the blue ones) looks fine as particles but as metaballs would be really tough to trail off in size and how do you texture particles to look like rain (I don't know a way but it would be great to know one...)
- it's a lot easier to do this in x-particles so I don't have great idea how to do it other than it would likely require TP Move Over Surface (unless you are practiced enough in TP/xpresso to do it without the presets.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]