MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

controlling object visibility with falloff sphere

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gavenesh Patel
controlling object visibility with falloff sphere
on Sep 20, 2015 at 11:56:07 pm

I have what maybe a newbie question for C4D.

I have a complex piece of geometry and I want to control which parts of it are visible with sphere shape (not sure what else to call it) with fall off. So whenever the geometry and the sphere shape intersect, only the part of the geometry within the sphere is visible when rendered.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: controlling object visibility with falloff sphere
on Sep 22, 2015 at 10:44:48 pm

it's an old channel shader and will look odd in the viewport but look up the Proximal channel. There are number of tutorials out there - you want to use it in the alpha channel of the textures of your complex piece of geometry.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Sep 23, 2015 at 12:04:25 am

Proximal works but I find it so fiddly to deal with. My preference would be to do this using Yader's brilliant vertex map falloff trick. Basically he uses a pose morph to morph between a zero % vmap and a 100% vmap and then applies a morph deformer to provide the falloff.

Then it's just a question of putting the Effects>Vertex Map shader in the alpha channel.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Sep 23, 2015 at 1:37:04 am

nice, I saw the earlier version with xpresso but missed this. Doesn't allow alpha in the middle of a poly though only a gradient across a full poly so if the object has large polys anywhere the alpha is limited to poly size.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]