MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Can I add a single object to a scene and only render it for compositing?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg C Neumayer
Can I add a single object to a scene and only render it for compositing?
on Sep 17, 2015 at 8:59:24 pm

My client has decided they would like a tag line with the logo of the bright shiny product in the bright shiny room. What is the best workflow for adding this?

What I would like:
Add the logo tagline punched out of it's own material, render with everything else turned off BUT-- still have my logo respond to those objects (reflections and lighting, shadows) as well as be occluded when another objects blocks our view of it.

Is there a way to "black out" every other object without making them invisible nor act like an object with black properties? Now, I know the basic answer is "use an object buffer". I can, but I was hoping for a magic solution that would cut my render time down to minutes instead of days. I'm hoping not to re-render the entire project again just to preserve lighting and reflections.

Magic, anyone?
Thanks for your input!
(BTW, I'll understand that by not replying it's your way of saying, 'I don't have a solution to offer.' You don't need to say 'I don't know' :) )

(p.s. What I've done so far: Render out just the tag line as a texture with an alpha and plan on compositing it in AE; faking the reflections and shading by using screen/add transfer controls (since the tagline is green and the object I'm compositing it to is white plastic)

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Can I add a single object to a scene and only render it for compositing?
on Sep 17, 2015 at 9:49:34 pm

Unfortunately there's no one-button solution for this kind of problem. Best you can do is figure out what elements you need to make your text blend appropriately with the scene and then address them one-by-one.

For example, if your text is reflective then you'll can give the objects that need to be seen in the reflection a compositing tag with just "seen by reflections" checked (assuming you don't need AO for those, or GI effects). If you have occluding objects that won't be seen in reflections you can give them flat textures to speed the render. That sort of thing....

If you happen to have R17 the new Takes feature could really help with this.

Return to posts index

Greg C Neumayer
Re: Can I add a single object to a scene and only render it for compositing?
on Sep 17, 2015 at 9:54:07 pm
Last Edited By Greg C Neumayer on Sep 17, 2015 at 9:55:53 pm

Ug. I was afraid of that. Fortunately, with this project my aforementioned fix worked. 3D is definitely one of those places where the rule is true: If it looks right, it is right.

"Takes" looks cool. Thanks.

-Greg

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]