MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Imported Illustrator Text Not Recognizing "Holes" In Letters

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Guss
Imported Illustrator Text Not Recognizing "Holes" In Letters
on Aug 27, 2015 at 6:09:37 pm

The version used is Cinema 4d Lite with Adobe AE 2014.

I prep my illustrator text vector by merging the layers and saving it as an illustrator 8 file, which is then brought in with "merge" and given an extrude nub, followed by checking the "hierarchical" box. However, when extruded, holes within characters such as O, A, or D are not present. How can I solve this mystery?

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Imported Illustrator Text Not Recognizing "Holes" In Letters
on Aug 27, 2015 at 9:16:35 pm

the two splines which make up your letters with a hole need to be joined into one spline - the quickest way is to select both splines (the letter and it's hole) in the object manager and right-click and choose Connect Objects and Delete - that gets rid of the originals and leaves you with one spline which will work. If you want to keep the original splines just choose Connect Objects it leaves the originals and you use the new spline.
Another alternate to keep the originals is to put the letter and hole in a Connect Object and extrude that...

Return to posts index

SOphie Hollies
on May 14, 2018 at 10:13:52 am

Hello Brian, I would like to ask you the same question as the person before me did. I'm using cinema 4D R19 and i'm having the same issue with my letters not recognising that some have a hole in them. I tried what you mentioned but I only have 1 path for each letter, so I don't have the option to 'connect & delete' the paths. I am very new to this software but I can't find anything about this issue online. I am importing my text from illustrator cc as an illustrator 8 file into C4D. All the paths are outlined so there shouldn't be any issue there. I've tried everything, i've run out of ideas. PLease help. thanks

Return to posts index

Scott Sandifer
on May 16, 2018 at 7:24:24 pm

Hey SOphie Hollies,

I'm brand new to C4D too, but i may be able to help. I was having this same problem, and just now figured it out.
Out of curiosity were you following the C4D R19 tutorial on LinkedIn "The Landon Hotel" too?

I was using the supplied files, seeing this problem and not having any way of asking for help was driving me nuts.

At any rate, even if you're doing something completely different, maybe i can still help.
My problem was — for whatever reason, the splines for the counters were doubled, and were confusing C4D. So for each counter there were two splines literally sitting on top of each other.

So… up on the top right, click on the green checkmark to turnoff/hide the extrude.
Now twirl down and select the path of a letter that's giving you trouble.
(This selects the spline)
In your viewport, zoom in on the spline of the counter of the letter till you see the black dots. Now click one of those dots that make up your counter and that should show a red, green, and blue arrow. Use one of those arrows to move that dot away from where it's supposed to be.

If when you move that dot away, another identical dot is still sitting where that dot you moved used to be—then you have the same problem i did. If NOT, then sorry. I dunno what's wrong.
But if so, then shift click each other dot in the counter, and then move this whole double counter away and then delete it, leaving it's duplicate intact and safe.

Dunno if this is the official way to solve this problem, but it worked for me, hope it helps you too.
Good luck!

Return to posts index

Sophie Hollies
on May 16, 2018 at 9:41:45 pm

Hi Scott,

YES exactly!! I was using the tutorial for Landon Hotel on Lynda.com!! In the tutorial it worked fine for him but for me it wasn't having any of it, yet I was following his exact steps. I'm glad I wasn't the only one it was driving absolutely mad. I Haven't tried the solution you mentioned yet but i'm about to and as soon as I do I will let you know if it worked for me. I'm also glad you are new to Cinema 4D because you're explanation will be as simple as I need it to be. Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out with this issue, I really appreciate it ☺ I'll get back to you ASAP

Phee

Return to posts index

Sophie Hollies
on May 16, 2018 at 10:23:18 pm

Hi Scott,

It worked for me 😃 Thank you so much! But how can we stop this from happening in the future..there must be something we can do in Illustrator before importing it into C4D :/

Phee

Return to posts index

Scott Sandifer
on May 16, 2018 at 11:11:10 pm

Phee,

I emailed Andy Needham (the guy who created this tutorial) out of crazed frustration about how to avoid this.
He's recently got back to me, and seems to think it's a bug in C4D.

You know what though… i have a weird feeling it's a bug-ish behavior in illustrator. Because i've run into a sort-of similar problem importing Ai files into After Effects.
Like for example, Illustrator sees an "E" as a single path. One line traveling all around the letterform.
But Illustrator sees an "O" as two different paths, a "compound path." The outer circle and inner circle. No matter what you do, shape-builder, pathfinder, whatever, an "O" will always be two paths. Probably because the outer circle and inner circle don't ever intersect each other.

Like i said before, i don't really know what i'm talking about, but i have this suspicion that while the two separate paths aren't normally a problem for vectors, they might make C4D go nuts.
Maybe sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't? No idea.

But now we know how to fix it. So yay!
I'm glad i could help. Nothing worse than getting frustrated during a tutorial, right? I was so happy to find the solution i wanted to share!

Oh, one more thing i learned… instead of shift clicking each individual black dot, once you've got one black dot selected, go up to Select, then Select Connected. And that should select all the black dots that were connected to the black dot — and then you can delete them all.

Return to posts index

bran glen
on Jun 13, 2018 at 6:30:52 pm

Not sure if my step by step posted, but here's some screenshots of what I did to get around this issue

Return to posts index

bran glen
on Jun 13, 2018 at 6:10:56 pm

I think I have figured out the cause for this. I'm using Studio R19 and was having the same issue. I tried a few different things, but finally figured out what to do to get around this "bug." I tested this theory a few times now, and it seems to be holding up. Step by step below:

1. Import path file and uncheck the 'Connect Splines' and 'Group Splines' boxes in Adobe Illustrator Import window and hit OK

2. Select all the groups

3. With all the groups selected, go up to 'Objects' and click 'Connect Objects + Delete'

4. This will create one spline

5. Create an Extrude, put the spline inside and that's it!

Best,
Bran

Return to posts index

Chip Downing
on Oct 7, 2018 at 9:09:01 pm

Thank you, Bran! I was following the steps of a handful of tutorials and running into the same issue. Unchecking 'Connect Splines' and 'Group Splines' did the trick for me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]