MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Sketch & Toon vs. DoF (Depth of Field)

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kuba papokaSketch & Toon vs. DoF (Depth of Field)
by on Aug 7, 2015 at 9:33:59 am

Hi guys!

We're trying to achieve Depth of Field with Sketch and Toon Spline renderings.

When I activate DOF Map Rear Blur, and Depth of Field in post effects, DoF works, but there is completely now control of it. I can change the values from 0-100 to 10000-10000000 and it stays the same.

When we try and do it in post, the multipass z-depth rendering breaks everytime the splines interesect. When spline 1 is in front of spline 2, then spline 2 is magically in front in z-depth pass.

Unfortunatelly, our looks needs to be rendered in Sketch & Toon and we cannot turn splines to sweep nurbs :/

Any ideas will be very welcome :)

Cheers,
Papoka

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Sketch & Toon vs. DoF (Depth of Field)
by on Aug 7, 2015 at 7:17:15 pm

Both Sketch and DOF are post effects so unfortunately I think they conflict if you try to render them at the same time. What I would do is render a separate depth or position pass and add DOF in post.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Sketch & Toon vs. DoF (Depth of Field)
by on Aug 7, 2015 at 9:57:01 pm

in 16 S&T and DOF (built-in) work fine together (I was surprised)

Return to posts index

kuba papokaRe: Sketch & Toon vs. DoF (Depth of Field)
by on Aug 11, 2015 at 8:39:02 am
Last Edited By kuba papoka on Aug 11, 2015 at 8:40:43 am

Hi guys!

They work fine in most cases, but not with rendering splines. Gotta have nurbs/mesh.

We changed the workflow on this one and we ditched sketch & toon completely to achieve DoF in Physical renderer.

Thanks for your input :)

Return to posts index

by on Aug 11, 2015 at 5:09:56 pm

interesting, a spline always blurs max regardless of distance unless it's in front of geometry then it blurs correctly... useful info for later.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 11, 2015 at 6:24:19 pm

I still can't get it to work. Even with geometry behind the spline, it always blurs out the same, regardless of DOF Map Rear and Front settings.

Changing focus distance works somewhat, but I can't understand in what way :/ It does change the amount of blur and the sharp zone when I change focus distance but only with a strange relation to the distance from geometry that's behind it.

Weird science.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 11, 2015 at 6:36:16 pm

I don't think it will work - I just had done a test with a circle spline around a box then cloned that out. Any spline part in front of a box is blurring correctly but the boxes and splines are pretty close to each other.
It's obvious the DOF is based on the geometry Depth Map and even though S&T can produce a depth map which includes splines correctly it's not being used

Return to posts index

by on Aug 11, 2015 at 6:39:51 pm

Yup, I did almost the same test but results are ridiculous :) Your previous post just brought my hopes up.

Thanks for checking it out :)

Return to posts index

Wilson Costa CamposRe: Sketch & Toon vs. DoF (Depth of Field)
by on Mar 25, 2016 at 3:47:19 pm

any solution to this? doing my head in...
also if you have a transparent object with only outlines showing up, the lines behind do not show up from the same object..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]