MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Animate axis point over time

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed StablesAnimate axis point over time
by on Aug 4, 2015 at 1:50:37 pm

Basic question here.
I am animating a spinning ring. At the start of the animation somebody is holding one edge and rotating it slightly. I then want the ring to continue to spin at the person lets go and the the axis point of the ring to move seamlessly into the centre. I'm basically trying to do something which would be easy to do in After Effects - keyframe the anchor point and rotation at the same time.

Is this possible? When I move the axis point I notice position values changing so I've been keyframing those, but each new keyframe seems to override the previous axis point position.

I'm missing something simple, right?

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Animate axis point over time
by on Aug 4, 2015 at 7:13:19 pm

animating the relative position of the axis is not possible but what you want is easy, put the object in a Null and animate that. You move the object (inside the null) so the null is the anchor point at the edge keyframe that position (in the object's coords) do your small rotation with the null (which then moves the object since the object is a child of the null) then move the object (inside the null again) so it is centered to the null over as many frames as you like.

Return to posts index

Ed StablesRe: Animate axis point over time
by on Nov 9, 2015 at 12:42:33 am

Long time to wait before replying... sorry. Just to say thank you for your response. I have since used your technique many times. Much obliged

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved