MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Will I benefit from upgrading to a MacPro with 128gb RAM and Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Cabestany
Will I benefit from upgrading to a MacPro with 128gb RAM and Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs?
on Aug 3, 2015 at 10:24:46 pm

I recently got approval on a really heavy 3D project, so I'm upgrading my old 2011 imac to a Mac Pro beefed up to the max in GPU power.
However, I'm not entirely sure on whether adding the 128 gb RAM kit from OWC or leave it as 64gb, as Apple states is the max it can take.

I mostly use After Effects and every once in a while C4D, (although part of the upgrade is so I can do more 3D stuff), but currently I'd say my ratio is 85% AE and 15% C4D.

Any insights from the pros on whether the 128 gb is worth the money?

As always, thanks a bunch.
D.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Will I benefit from upgrading to a MacPro with 128gb RAM and Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs?
on Aug 4, 2015 at 12:16:22 am

I'd say it's HIGHLY unlikely you would ever need more than 64GB or RAM for Cinema. Even 32GB would be overkill for most people.

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
Re: Will I benefit from upgrading to a MacPro with 128gb RAM and Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs?
on Aug 4, 2015 at 3:07:20 pm

Thanks Adam,

I'm not questioning your statement as I know you are far more experienced than me on C4D, but would you mind elaborating on why? Is it because GPUs are more important than RAM for 3D applications?

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Aug 4, 2015 at 10:38:18 pm

It's just because Cinema scenes generally aren't that large. The only time I'd be worried about going over 64GB would be if I was using some REALLY huge bitmap textures or video backgrounds.

Consider that many of the blockbuster FX films of the 80s and 90s were done on machines that couldn't even address more than 2GB RAM.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]