MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Lighting Problem

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin PetersLighting Problem
by on Jul 23, 2015 at 11:05:17 am

Hi, new here so I apologise in advance if this is posted in the wrong area.

I am lighting a a few scenes in my animation

and coming across a flickering light problem while rendering.
I have a few lights all of which have soft shadows enabled. I have some threads on here where people mention to change the pixels to 1000x1000 which I have on all lights but still have this problem.

Render settings for GI are set to Irradiance Cache (legacy) with Record Density set to Low and Smoothing set to Medium for Primary, None for Secondary, Samples are set to Low.

Ambient Occlusion I have the Minimum Samples set to 1 and Max at 20

Any advise/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Lighting Problem
by on Jul 23, 2015 at 5:02:51 pm

Problem is not the lights but your GI settings which are too low. Why are you using legacy (old) IR method? In any case, the problem with IR is that it uses a lot of interpolation. The lower your settings, the more interpolation needs to be done. Since each frame is interpolated individually, the flickering you're seeing is the difference in how the samples are being interpolated from one frame to the next.

Return to posts index

Kevin PetersRe: Lighting Problem
by on Jul 23, 2015 at 5:12:46 pm

Hi, Thank you for your response. I only used those settings as a previous scene i rendered those options rendered the fastest while keeping the quility at a happy medium.

If I use the normal Irradiance Cache the rendering time is just ridiculously slow.
I'm using the new i7 iMac 5k retina display with 32gb ram. 4 cores and it just goes to a grinding halt.

Return to posts index

Kevin PetersRe: Lighting Problem
by on Jul 23, 2015 at 5:14:25 pm

7 minutes for 1 frame with no AO turned on. Just GI with samples now set to medium and using Irradiance Cache (not legacy).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved