MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Split a single mesh object into two?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Last
Split a single mesh object into two?
on Jul 23, 2015 at 1:07:06 am

Hi there,

I've got this object, a basic windmill, and I want to animate it so that the blades turn. Unfortunately the blades are not a separate object from the main support structure. What's the simplest way to split the blades from the support so that I can turn the blades on their own?

Here's the project file (it's small)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8ccjx7612k8cdji/windmill_mesh.c4d

Any help much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Split a single mesh object into two?
on Jul 23, 2015 at 1:47:17 am

select the blades polys in Poly mode (and whatever else you want to separate) and run the Split command (right-click or Mesh/Commands/Split) - that makes a copy of the polys in a new object but leaves the originals in the old object - so either delete the polys in the old object or split all the parts and hide or delete the original

Return to posts index

Alex Last
on Jul 23, 2015 at 11:11:18 pm

Thanks!

Now I just need to rotate the blades around the centre node -- unfortunately selecting all three blades and just rotating them doesn't work because they aren't anchored to that point... any ideas?

I mean if I move them a tiny bit along with the move tool, then rotate them a tiny bit, then make a keyframe, then do that over and over, it kinda works. Just a bit painstaking. It also looks pretty terrible. If only you could designate a curved path or something.... or anchor the blades around something

Return to posts index

Alex Last
on Jul 23, 2015 at 11:25:34 pm

Nevermind, i figured it out!

I basically made the cylinder at the top (which the blades are connected to) into a single object along with the blades. Then I used "select connected" on all the points of the cylinder, then I went to Mesh > Axis Center and made sure that 'Action' was set to "Axis to" and Center was set to "Selected Points" then I hit execute. Now when I use the rotate tool, they all turn on that point. Perfect.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]