MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Getting trouble when trying to do an animation using the sound effector

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Sander
Getting trouble when trying to do an animation using the sound effector
on Jul 22, 2015 at 3:22:16 pm

So, I have modelled a character in C4D. I have some sound files which I am going to use with the sound effector to animate the character. The character is a bird, and when the sound files are played, the bottom part of the beak should rotate downwards, and then back into place based on the sound waveform. The beak is one of many parts that this character is built by.

When I watched tutorials around the sound effector, the cloner seems to be the primary focus and I got no clue how to link the sound effector to a single parameter of an object.

I can explain further by taking an example how I would do this in After Effects:

1. Convert audio into keyframes.
2. Looking up the property I want to be affected by the sound.
3. Making an expression that links the property to the audio amplitude channel that was created in step one.

So, I want the bottom part of the beak, a single object to rotate downwards based on the waveform, and then return when there is silence. Would need an explanation how to do that.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Getting trouble when trying to do an animation using the sound effector
on Jul 23, 2015 at 4:56:04 pm

It's pretty easy, actually.

1. create an Xpresso tag (you can just put it on a null object);

2. drag the sound effector and the objects you want to influence from the object manager into the Xpresso editor window;

3. Assuming you want to rotate on heading ... click on the top right (red) corner of the effector node and from the menu select Parameter>R>R.H

4. Click on the top left (blue) corner of each object you want to rotate and select Coordinates>Rotation>Rotation.H

5. Connect the effector's out port to each of the objects' in ports.

Return to posts index

Martin Sander
on Jul 24, 2015 at 11:12:16 am
Last Edited By Martin Sander on Jul 24, 2015 at 6:25:32 pm

So I did just what you said, except with the Rotation P parameter because that one had the right direction. Despite that, nothing happens. See the screenshot for reference. Also, if it works, I think I'll have to offset rotation to -90 degrees as start value if I can do that somehow, it's easy if working in AE to say the least, but now I am not working in AE.

As of now, I have offset it in the parameter window as you can see, as none of this currently works anyway.

Edit:

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jul 24, 2015 at 8:16:07 pm

Doh ... sorry. I was testing with the plain effector because I didn't have a sound file handy and that worked set up the way I mentioned.

With the sound effector there's a few more steps. You need a mograph sample node in between the effector and the object. So you would create an Object out port for the effector and attach that to the sample node's Effector in port. Then create a Strength out port for the sample node.

You can get an effect by connecting that directly to your object's rotation in port, but strength reads out in values of 0 to 1, while by default the rotation in port reads radians. Since one radian = (about) 57.3 degrees, you'll have a hard time getting the exact result you want that way.

So, you need an Xpresso>Calculate>Rangemapper node in between the sample effector and your object. You'll set the data type to real, input range "zero to one", and output range to Degree. Set input lower to 0, input upper to 1, output lower to 0, and output upper to whatever you want your maximum rotation to be.

Sorry for the gross oversimplification before.

Return to posts index

Martin Sander
on Jul 25, 2015 at 11:15:32 am

Finally, it's working. Thanks for your efforts to solve this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]