MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Issues with rendering materials

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael FornoIssues with rendering materials
by on Jul 13, 2015 at 5:19:58 am

Hi I'm a new user here so look forward to being a productive member here as much as I can. Currently attending school for graphic design, programs I'm studying include the Adobe Creative Suite/Cloud, Cinema 4d, 3ds Max, Blender, Sculptris, Mudbox, etc. (The 3d ones because I want to do 3d/game design). Just thought I'd give a bit of background on me.

As for my question: I am currently using Daz Studio to create human models for rigging/animation. I was able to create a decent rig in Cinema 4d so no issues there as of yet...another day lol. At the moment I got everything I wanted imported from Daz, and it seems to look fine. However when I render I just get a gray color for everything. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong as I've done some pretty good renders thus far but this is my first time importing from Daz. Would anyone happen to know what might cause this? I checked the normals and they're fine, both sides are set to show both in the editor and the renderer. Any known issues or simple fixes I should be aware of or try before I ask anything complex? I'm sure it's something simple :) Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael FornoRe: Issues with rendering materials
by on Jul 13, 2015 at 5:29:09 am

Sorry to put this as a reply I'm not very good with forums :(

Anyways I'm updating this question, I tried restarting Cinema 4d and it works fine. Now I'm just curious how to copy a material channel from one material to another. I have an awesome skin material from another scene and I want to copy the luminance channel to the new materials to take advantage of the subsurface scattering. I would really hate to do it from scratch as I don't remember all the values and I want the model to be even. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Issues with rendering materials
by on Jul 13, 2015 at 2:15:29 pm

you can copy the Texture of the luminance (left -click on the triangle to the right of Texture in the Luminance channel) and choose Copy Channel. That copies everything in that slot whether it's just SS or SS in layers or whatever. It does not copy the rest of the settings outside the Texture slot so if the luminance color is not white or you changed the Mix Mode/Mix Strength you'd have to do those by hand (or copy them).
Then to paste go to the Luminance in the target material and click on the Texture triangle and Paste Channel.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Issues with rendering materials
by on Jul 13, 2015 at 2:19:01 pm

Go to the luminance tab of the material you want to copy from. At the top of the attributes manager there's an Edit menu. Choose "select all" and then "copy". Then go to the new material's luminance channel and "select all". For some reason the "paste" option is grayed out here, but If you use the paste shortcut (Ctrl + V) it will paste all the values.

You can also save materials from the Material Manager and load them into other scenes. Those commands are in the MM's Create menu.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 20, 2015 at 10:08:02 pm

Awesome, thanks! It's simple stuff like that which makes working in software, especial 3d stuff like Cinema, so much easier :)

Return to posts index

by on Jul 20, 2015 at 10:09:39 pm

Also thank you for the quick response, most forums aren't known for that ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]