MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Xpresso and cloner dependency question

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel MooreXpresso and cloner dependency question
by on Jul 8, 2015 at 6:43:54 pm

With the help of Brian Jones, I put together a lattice generator. That was over a year ago and I haven't touched Xpresso since : (. To say I'm rusty would be an understatement. That said, here's the scene file:

https://copy.com/7X3EGT7pJUwqkNC9

I've been trying to modify it and have failed thus far. It's currently generating 3D cubes and I'd like it to work instead with 2D rectangles, which are quicker to work with in other CAD packages.

So, my question finally, is there a quick and painless way to swap the cubes for rectangles in the cloner and retain the links in Xpresso?

If not, can someone advise me on what the best approach would be?

I spend so little time in C4D, please forgive me if this comes across as lazy or stupidly easy.

Thanks everyone!

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Xpresso and cloner dependency question
by on Jul 8, 2015 at 7:37:58 pm

Not too tough. You need to create two plane primitives oriented in the +Z direction. Then one in each cloner in place of the cubes. Then, in the Xpresso setup, drag in each plane and hook up it's width/height inputs the Cubes are presently connected.

Did it for you. :)
9030_latticegenerator.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Daniel MooreRe: Xpresso and cloner dependency question
by on Jul 8, 2015 at 7:52:07 pm

Oh man. I really over-complicated that on my end, editing formulas, etc...

Thanks a million Adam!!

Return to posts index

by on Jul 9, 2015 at 12:56:34 am

I have another question. After seeing how easy it actually was to replace objects I boiled my CAD needs down further and used splines in place of cubes or planes.
That worked well but the intersections of the lines I would like removed to show the horizontal lines continuous and the vertical lines broken by the horizontal.

I read up on Spline Mask but it appears it will not work with Cloner objects.

Is there a workaround to use the Spline Mask in this situation?

The scene file can be found here:

https://copy.com/ltmTXp2Iw9bURZGv

Thanks for taking a look!

Return to posts index

by on Jul 9, 2015 at 1:08:42 am
Last Edited By Daniel Moore on Jul 9, 2015 at 1:09:52 am

Well, I just tested all the Spline Mask modes and none of them allow the appearance of the horizontal member to pass over and hide the vertical members intersecting bit so I suppose Spline Mask is not the answer either.

Here's what I'm after, which I have to do very tediously in Viacad, cleaning up one intersection at a time, after generating the optimal spacing in the wonderful C4D:

Any ideas on how to have C4D create the 'cleaned up' intersections would be very welcome indeed!

The export from C4D needs to be in splines, which appears to be the catch.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]