MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Fillet Caps with Constrain checked mess up geometry

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard DuCasseFillet Caps with Constrain checked mess up geometry
by on Jul 7, 2015 at 1:33:19 am

I'm using Cinema 4D Lite in After Effects. I have a fairly complex logo I built in Illustrator. I imported it into C4D Lite. I parented it to an Extrude nurb. So far so good. I add a Fillet Cap, front and back. Dial it down to 1 step and radius 1. Still looking good. But my logo looks "fat". I want to use the Constrain option. When I click that box, the geometry gets all messed up. Is there anyway to fix or adjust this in C4D Lite?

I already tried changing the object's Angle setting from 5 to 2, which makes the object smoother, but still doesn't fix the crunched up geometry. I combed through all the options I could find for the object and the extrusion, but nothing seems to help.

Is this a common problem in C4D with slightly complex geometry from Illustrator? I'm familiar with Zaxwerks and they have a slider to smooth out this type of problem if it happens in Invigorator.

I could go back into Illustrator and create my slimmed-down geometry. Then import it into C4D to add the fillet caps. Then I would not need to use Constrain. But that's not a nice way to have to work.

I'm still fairly new with C4D Lite. Thanks for any information.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Fillet Caps with Constrain checked mess up geometry
by on Jul 7, 2015 at 2:18:37 am

you already have the right general idea, when you don't constrain the fillet has lots of room and is perfect (but may look fat or adjacent elements may bump together) and if you constrain, the fillet has to move inward and if the element is not wide enough to contain two fillets (there will be a fillet on the other side too) it looks bad as the two fillets overlap so your only option is to cut back on the fillet radius.
You can try adding the fillet by hand with the bevel tool (which has a limit option) but you will probably get the best results by modifying the splines in Illustrator to be narrower so you can use the fillet without constraining (if you need that much radius)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved