MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Problem when making an object editable

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Pedraza
Problem when making an object editable
on Jun 29, 2015 at 7:07:50 pm

I'm having a weird problem:

I have a bunch of extrusions for some text, each letter is an extrusion which are inside a fracture object, for future effectors.

Since I need to deform each letter individually, I need to convert them to objects so that deformers function. However, from one moment to the other, whenever I press C on any extrusion, the caps jump places, making it impossible to work. it only happens with this project, if I start from scratch converting to editable works just fine. What did I press? Why is this weird thing happenning? It was literally just working 10 minutes ago. i'm going mad!

Return to posts index

Martin Pedraza
Re: Problem when making an object editable
on Jun 29, 2015 at 7:15:27 pm

Pinned down the origin of the error, though i still don't understand why it's happening. The weirdness appears as soon as I place the extrusions on a fracture object. If I press C while they're inside there, the weirdness begins. Why is the fracture object displacing the caps?

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jun 29, 2015 at 11:42:31 pm

When you make extrusions editable the caps are not welded by default. You get three objects for each extrusion (the extrusion itself and two caps). So if you have the fracture set to Straight mode, whatever effectors you're using will act separately on each object.

If you select the three parts of your converted extrusion and run the "connect objects and delete" command your problem will be solved.

Alternatively, you could set the fracture mode to "explode segments and connect".

Return to posts index

Martin Pedraza
on Jun 29, 2015 at 11:59:38 pm

That worked! Thank a lot. It left me wondering what does the fracture object actually do, technically.
In any case, the problem was solved. I also learned that I can apply deformers to an extrude operation without converting it to an object first, so that's even better. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]