MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Newbie Question: How do I apply a gold material to my object

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tommy DimmelNewbie Question: How do I apply a gold material to my object
by on Jun 24, 2015 at 12:37:04 am

Hi,

I am TOTALLY a 100% newb to Cinema 4D. I have downloaded an OBJ file from Turbosquid of a scale. I want the scale to look like it's made out of gold, but when I apply a gold material preset, the scale comes out looking black. I have created a youtube video which addresses this. Please help!

Thanks. I'm so NEW to Cinema 4D! Yikes! This, i'm sure, is SOOO basic.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Newbie Question: How do I apply a gold material to my object
by on Jun 24, 2015 at 2:20:42 am

the color on an object in the viewport is, by default (that can be changed), whatever is in the color channel of the material - in this case black. Render it, either in the viewport or the Picture Viewer, and you will see the actual rendered color. (if it's reflective enough you will only see black rendered too unless there is something to reflect in the scene but it should reflect itself and the heart at least)

Return to posts index

Tommy DimmelRe: Newbie Question: How do I apply a gold material to my object
by on Jun 24, 2015 at 1:29:45 pm

I've done what you say: rendered it out. It still appears with that same black color.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Newbie Question: How do I apply a gold material to my object
by on Jun 24, 2015 at 2:56:55 pm

Does your scene have a floor? Anything to reflect in the scene?
It might also be all the normal tags on all the pieces of the scale (I could see those in the heart video) sometimes the normal tags are the problem on an imported object. Try removing them from one of the parts.
The texture you chose has a layer shader in the color channel, try turning off the black layer to let the other layers show..

Return to posts index

by on Jun 24, 2015 at 5:33:05 pm

Ok...I tried adding a floor and a sky, which did the trick. However, I'm importing this C4D file into After Effects, so the floor and sky are thus visible as well in my after effects project, which I don't want. Man...I'm such a newb with this.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 24, 2015 at 11:09:11 pm

Thanks again Brian for the help. I'm just barely getting my feet wet with Cinema 4D, so there's quite a bit of basics that I still need to integrate within my muscle and mind memory. For now, I just followed this tutorial to achieve what I was basically looking for:

. These forums, and people like you who contribute, are the best!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]