MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Animating Emitter Birth Rate

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob RingAnimating Emitter Birth Rate
by on Jun 17, 2015 at 2:24:37 pm

I'm working on an animation in which rain (an emitter) falls onto a plane, and causes ripples on the surface. I've used a bump tag, linked to the emitter to cause the effect. It works great, but I want the rain to slow down towards the end of the animation. I can't figure out how to do this.

I tried adding a Display tag to the emitter, and set keyframes for the birth rate, but it doesn't give me that option. I can change the speed, but not the birth rate.

I COULD create a second emitter, with a slower birth rate, and start it later in the timeline, but then it doesn't affect the plane (no ripples on impact).

Is there a way to apply BOTH emitters to the same plane? Or a way to animate the birthrate that I'm not thinking of?

I'm a bit of a newbie to C4D, but I think I've got a pretty good handle on the software... this challenge is driving me a bit nuts. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Animating Emitter Birth Rate
by on Jun 18, 2015 at 12:32:43 am

Do you have Thinking Particles? If so use that instead of the standard emitter. Otherwise you can use multiple standard emitters. You can keyframe which emitter the shader will use in the ripple shader properties. Just KF the first one, move to your selected frame, drag the second emitter in the link box, and keyframe again.

Return to posts index

Rob RingRe: Animating Emitter Birth Rate
by on Jun 18, 2015 at 1:58:09 am

Thanks for the tip. I actually found another way to do it already. I applied the first emitter to the bump attribute, and applied the second (slower rain) to the displacement attribute. I set the second emitter to start slightly before the first one ended (so there would be no gap).

Worked great.

I do appreciate your tip, though. I think that will be useful for other things.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved