MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Compressing Sweep Nurbs Along a Plane Whilst Retaining Elevation Order

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hayden Martin
Compressing Sweep Nurbs Along a Plane Whilst Retaining Elevation Order
on May 31, 2015 at 12:43:11 am

Hey guys

This one is driving me mad. I know it's super simple too!!

Here is a picture of some neon typography I am creating...

here it is at another angle...

and from the Top...

Now what I want to do is have all of these individual neon tubes rest on top of each-other with minimal spacing, as if they have been bent to rest atop eachother as flat as possible, based on their order of front to back...

I tried applying a Spline Dynamics tag to each spline (with high uniform points), then a hair collider to the individual tubes - but it made them explode when I pressed G to simulate one frame...

an example of what I need is this - the tubes need to rest on top of each-other without clipping or distorting in the X or Y axis...

I'm also attaching the project file for people to take a look at - I would love to see it fixed with an explanation too!

Best,
Hayden

PROJECT FILE:
8879_rez.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Hayden Martin
Re: Compressing Sweep Nurbs Along a Plane Whilst Retaining Elevation Order
on May 31, 2015 at 1:29:02 pm

update

I've compressed each tube segment into closely arranged layers - these 3 pics show it at different angles...

I'm figuring that maybe what I need to do is somehow create a spline dynamics tag that is constrained only to the Z axis...

How do I do this?

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Compressing Sweep Nurbs Along a Plane Whilst Retaining Elevation Order
on May 31, 2015 at 3:57:45 pm
Last Edited By Brian Jones on May 31, 2015 at 7:05:31 pm

I don't have any solution for you but a number of things are going to be necessary if it's possible at all

- the splines can't be Bezier, when a bezier spline moves via spline dynamics the points move but the orientation of the handles on each point does not, so you end up with odd 'kinks' after it moves
-the splines are going to need a lot of subdivision, there are only points in the corners so those are the only places that movement can happen - there will have to be subdivisions between the corners for the splines to bend around other splines - no amount of fancy math is going to be able to bend splines via the bezier handles and get it correct
-I don't know of any way to constrain spline dynamics to a single axis but someone was asking a question in the last 6 months (either here or in CGTalk) trying to restrict cloner objects falling via dynamics to one axis so maybe there are some hints there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]