MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Replaceable object in C4D?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael StepReplaceable object in C4D?
by on May 29, 2015 at 7:27:14 pm

Greetings all,

I would like to create a few templates for future use for text. I know i can link the features for text, color, font and so on.
But i would like to make custom typography in AI and import it into C4D, and if possible apply those preset effects bevels and so on to new object.

Basically, is there something like smart object in C4D? thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Jack ChavezRe: Replaceable object in C4D?
by on Jun 16, 2015 at 1:57:21 am
Last Edited By Jack Chavez on Jun 19, 2015 at 4:06:26 pm

Use Replace With

Keyboard shortcut OPTION /
I think it's COMMAND OPTION / (the same as in After Effects, incidentally) in versions prior to R15.

I tested it on a spline text object with an extrusion featuring fillet caps. Did a Replace With on the spline and voila!

From the R15 Manual
Use this command to replace an object, or parts of an object (such as tags, User Data and so on...) with another one. Simply select the object to replace, then run the command to enter a pick session and select the object that will replace it. During the pick session, the object can be selected either in the viewport or in the Object Manager.

This command can be used on a variety of tasks, as it will not only replace an object entirely, but can be made to replace just the name, the object type, the parameters, etc. of an object by those of another one.

Note that the Options pop-up (when called up via a hotkey) can be activated every time you run the command if you enable Options mode for the command, in the Window / Customization / Customize Commands Manager.

When more than one object is selected, it will enter a multi-pick session when running the Replace With command. A multi-pick session allows you to pick one or several objects to be used as replacements. Ctrl/Cmd and Shift are used to add or remove to the selection of objects, and hitting Enter will confirm your selection.

If only one object is picked, then this object will be used for the replacement. If more than one object is selected, the replacement order will be based on the selection order, both before activating the command and during the multi-pick session (first object selected to be replaced will be switched with the first selected object during the multipick session, and so on).

The only thing I don't know is since this is in the character menu whether it applies to all versions of C4D. I don't have a non-Studio version to test that.
I HIGHLY recommend enabling the Options menu.

- JC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved