MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Understanding the LAYER Manager....not me

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Murphy
Understanding the LAYER Manager....not me
on May 19, 2015 at 5:44:17 pm

Hey guys,

I have many of the objects in my scene broken down into layers within the layer manager. With the current project, I have layers in a hierarchical structure set up. Odd thing is, if I turn off the eye icon for a layer that is buried within another layer, the buried layer will continue to show in the viewport. Am I not understanding this?

If you have a master layer with several sub layers buried within it, you should be able to control those buried layers individually, correct?

Here's an example of my LAYER MANAGER setup:

LAYER 1 (Character, blue)
Layer 1a (Character head, red)
Layer 1b (Character shoes, green)
Layer 1c (Character Shirt, brown)
LAYER 2 (microphone, yellow)
LAYER 3 (floor, pink)

If I have the LAYER 1 turned on but only want to turn off the shoes (Layer 1b, green layer), I tick the eye and clapboard icon for the shoe layer off but this layer's objects will continue to show in the viewport as well as render.

Any advice?

Thank you!
Brian

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Understanding the LAYER Manager....not me
on May 19, 2015 at 8:40:24 pm

I can't duplicate the problem here. Are you sure that you've assigned your shoe ojects to the shoe layer? Quick way to check to is select all objects and then set "Use Color" to Layer in the Attributes Manager's basic tab.

Return to posts index

Brian Murphy
Re: Understanding the LAYER Manager....not me
on May 19, 2015 at 8:49:58 pm

Thanks Adam - I think I just figured it out - what a bummer. I have many of these objects under a null within a SubD object (Hypernurbs)...that won't allow you to affect those objects individually....correct? I've colored the subD and null object in one layer and put my objects under that layer - again, it doesn't work...the SubD object "owns" those objects that it parents. Too bad, unless I'm missing something.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]