MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Volumetric Light Not Matching in AE

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas AlbertiVolumetric Light Not Matching in AE
by on May 5, 2015 at 8:32:55 pm

I have a volumetric spotlight passing through text in a plane. The problem is that when I bring it in to After Effects, the light is bounded by the plane (looking very unnatural) and not at all what C4D is showing:

Not sure if it has anything to do with my render settings, so I included them.

Thanks!
Tom

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Volumetric Light Not Matching in AE
by on May 5, 2015 at 8:54:43 pm

have to guess you are using a buffer which is cutting off the edge of the light as the buffer doesn't extend past the geometry

Return to posts index

Thomas AlbertiRe: Volumetric Light Not Matching in AE
by on May 5, 2015 at 9:25:24 pm

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the insight. I didn't know what a buffer is, but I looked into it and eventually waslead to fiddling with multi-pass settings, both in C4D render settings and in Cineware.

The change I made to fix the problem was in Cineware, checking the Cinema 4D Multi-Pass box, and then changing the multi-pass from RGBA Image to Atmosphere. But I don't know what kind of effects this will have in future compositions, or why the RGBA Image didn't work--if you have a moment to explain any of this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again!

Tom

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Volumetric Light Not Matching in AE
by on May 6, 2015 at 3:16:12 am

alpha channels really, I guessed object buffer but that's an alpha channel for just one object, useful with multipass rendering.
Multipass is the way to go if you are going to be compositing in AE (though I'm not an AE guy myself). The Volumetric light shows up in the Atmosphere channel so that's why you were using it.
Without multipass the alpha channel you must have been using just took the geometry into account so the alpha cuts off the light, with multipass the alpha can apply only to the object layer and the light, on it's own pass, doesn't have to use the alpha channel and can be seen like in C4D

Return to posts index

Thomas AlbertiRe: Volumetric Light Not Matching in AE
by on May 7, 2015 at 11:33:04 pm

Thanks Brian! That's super helpful :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]