MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Team Render - Peers work for a bit, then bail

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jareb Coupe
Team Render - Peers work for a bit, then bail
on May 5, 2015 at 6:29:29 pm

Don't mind my rash of posts, just trying to get a few things off my chest at once.

This latest issue I'm having is with Team Render. I bought Studio primarily for the unlimited Team Render installs - since we have several workstations and a computer lab.

I'm only just now testing it out with a couple machines. We have three pretty beefy machines in total; mine and two co-workers. They use their workstations mostly for 2D work, so I've set TR up to use 6 of their 8 logical cores.

It's absolutely astounding how much this speeds things up.

However, a problem I'm seeing sometimes is when I'm watching the "Team Render Machines" status report/window, I can see the two machines help for a bit (icon turns orange) but then about a minute in, they just bail. They stop crunching away on their work unit (the icon turns green), even though the 10min render is only about 1min in. They're still connected, though.

One drops off:

Then the other:

Any ideas? Is it because those workstation are in use?

Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Rafael Lewis
Re: Team Render - Peers work for a bit, then bail
on Jul 13, 2015 at 3:49:47 pm

I also just started having this issue. One falls off, and then the other. The only one that stays on is the main comp running C4D. I've also tried unchecking the main comp, but still the other 2 stop rendering.

This is what the team render client says:
"Removed Render-Job Job PV"

Anybody know what's up?

Return to posts index

Max Massloh
on Aug 27, 2015 at 8:16:27 am

Hi everybody,

got the same problem here at work, it is very annoying for me to sit near to my pc to check every minute if a client is dropped. any news or solutions on that?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jareb Coupe
on Feb 15, 2016 at 1:07:55 am

So, get this. 10 months later, I'm now using R17, and I'm using two brand new machines (two identical Alienware 15 R2), and working on a completely different project with zero overlap. I have the other machine set up for team render. When I push a project, both machines chug away at it for about a minute, then the second machine just silently stops working on it. Flips to idle. Exactly like my original screenshots, above.

I'm starting to think that it's related to GI. I happen to be using it again on this project. It's almost as if GI pre-passes on the slave machine(s) doesn't reset some sort of ping/timeout counter, and if it doesn't finish those pre-passes in a minute or so, then it disengages.

----------------------------------------------
Hobbyist level - R16

Return to posts index

Jareb Coupe
on Feb 18, 2016 at 12:45:46 pm

After several days of testing, I thought I knew exactly what was causing the issue. It seemed to only crap out (team machines bail and go idle after GI pre-pass) when I was using a GI Secondary Method (IR, RM, or LM). In fact, when I left only a primary method selected (leaving secondary to 'none'), I was able to get several renders off without a hitch. Then, suddenly, it started acting up again, even without changing the major GI settings.

I still think it's related somehow. I just wish I knew the secret.

Hobbyist level - R17

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Feb 18, 2016 at 2:45:53 pm

the help says this

GI Caches and Team Render

How do GI and Team Render work together?

Stills

With still you don’t have to make any changes; using the default render settings (not the Render Settings in conjunction with this), all Render Clients will participate in rendering a single cache file, which will also be used by all Render Clients during rendering.

Animation

First you must ascertain if a Camera Aniamtion or a Full Animation is being rendered (see above for an explanation of how these differ).

Full Animation: This can be sent directly to Team Render for rendering. Make sure that the Full Animation option is enabled in the Cache Files tab.
Camera Animation: All caches must first be pre-calculated without Team Render (this is the only way to achieve flicker-free results). Subsequently, the scene can be rendered in Team Render, including cache files.
The following applies to both methods: If pre-calculated cache files exist that should be used with Team Render, the Auto Load option must be enabled in the Cache Files tab.

If QMC Rendering is being used, which does not require caches, it can also be sent directly to Team Render.

which may not be related to your problem but it made me wonder if the problem goes away with QMC

Return to posts index

Jareb Coupe
on Feb 20, 2016 at 1:48:12 pm

That's a good theory!

But, alas, I've tried. In fact, even just as I log in, I can see the team render I set up last night has failed just after the GI passes (as usual) and I'm using QMC+IR.

I'll keep farting around with it.

Hobbyist level - R17

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Feb 20, 2016 at 3:33:37 pm

The secondary IR pass would be cached though I think, it would have to be pure QMC (maybe just primary to save time) for a good test. A short test perhaps

Return to posts index

Jareb Coupe
on Feb 28, 2016 at 4:43:33 pm

Well, to provide an update, it doesn't appear to be GI related. I've had it fail with no GI, and all manners of GI combinations. So, I've never figured out the cause.

But, here's a workaround. Instead of using Team Render from within the C4D GUI for quick renders, I've installed Team Render Server. And, I'm not sure if it matters, but I've installed the Team Render Client on the host machine as well. I now load it up like back in the Net Render days, and send the job to the two machines. So far, it hasn't crapped out.

Hobbyist level - R17

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]