MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Subtract Text Stroke

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Alberti
Subtract Text Stroke
on May 2, 2015 at 11:58:49 pm

I'm trying to pass light through the stoke of some text subtracted from a plane.

How do I give text stroke and then subtract it from a plane?

Thanks,
Tom

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Subtract Text Stroke
on May 3, 2015 at 12:38:29 am

is the text a spline, an image, geometry? By giving it stroke do you mean stroke in the illustrator sense (you want to make/see the edges of each letter) or do you mean thickness (so you can use a boole on the plane)?

Return to posts index

Thomas Alberti
on May 3, 2015 at 1:36:42 am
Last Edited By Thomas Alberti on May 3, 2015 at 1:51:19 am

Originally I had tried to bring in an After Effects layer with the text stroke as the alpha matte for a solid. But C4D only saw the solid, no transparency.

Then I made a text spline.

I watched a Russian YouTube that showed how to apply a sweep to a box spline and the text spline to give it the "stroke" I wanted. But I didn't understand anything he said.

As you mention, I used a boole to subtract the text from a plane. The problem is that when the volumetric light passes through, it seems to be passing through not just the empty space on the plane, but the whole sweep of the text, which I think is making the visible part of the light look like it has many different angles and extra artifacts.

Did I answer your question? I'm just starting out in C4D.

Thanks for your help!!

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on May 3, 2015 at 4:02:59 am

if I understand correctly, on the light with the volumetric shadow, try decreasing the Light Object/Visibility/Sample Distance - the default is 25, try taking it down to 5

Return to posts index

Thomas Alberti
on May 5, 2015 at 2:13:44 am

Thanks! Changing the sampling to 5 worked.

Would you be able to give any insight to why the Cinema 4D render view does not match AE? In AE, the visible light comes through the plane but then stops at the edge of the plane (looking very unnatural), whereas in C4D the light rays extend beyond the plane as they should. Not sure if it has anything to do with my render settings, so I included them.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]