MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Layered Texture - Bitmap Transparency / Stacking

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron PozzerLayered Texture - Bitmap Transparency / Stacking
by on Apr 22, 2015 at 9:29:20 pm

so, for the life of me I cant figure out what should be an absolute basic and easy function: how to add an image texture that has transparency. im not talking about a material alpha channel. id like to be able to stack image, via the layered shader.

i have my diffuse color set. id like to add an image ontop that is mostly transparent. i've tried a png, a tif, and a psd. they all come in with the "transparent grid" baked in (the grid you see in PS when you have nothing). i've tried using a layered shader and setting 1 layer to be a layer mask. nothing is working.

is cinema unable to apply an alpha to a bitmap? certainly seems that way to me at the moment.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Layered Texture - Bitmap Transparency / Stacking
by on Apr 23, 2015 at 12:52:27 am

can you post the scene (or a simple file which illustrates it) - it's working here - in a Layer shader a base color and an image above with transparent pixels... are you doing something different?

Return to posts index

Aaron PozzerRe: Layered Texture - Bitmap Transparency / Stacking
by on Apr 23, 2015 at 11:48:45 am
Last Edited By Aaron Pozzer on Apr 23, 2015 at 12:06:57 pm

it seems to have gone away this morning. i dunno... it definitely wasnt working yesterday, because ya, thats exactly what i was doing Brian. closed cinema when i left, opened this morning and now its working. i guess the old 'have you tried turning it off and on again' holds true in this case.

so after a few more min i realized the problem seems to somehow be linked to the fact that i was painting in BP. that is probably where the transparency grid was coming from. i thought perhaps it was because the texture was still open in BP, so i saved it, closed all textures, but that didnt quite fix the problem. reverted the scene, loaded my newly saved texture (saved as a psd), applied it to the layer stack in the shader and it worked.

so i dont know if theres a proper way to work with BP for texturing, but if there is, apparently i was doing it, and i still dont quite know what i was doing wrong, but at least i know if i run into this error again that i know how to solve it enough to keep working.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved