MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Stiffen part of a cloth object

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pravin Chottera
Stiffen part of a cloth object
on Apr 16, 2015 at 3:54:16 pm

I'm trying to animate a piece of lettuce falling onto a sandwich, but I want the stem to be stiffer than the leaf and can't seem to achieve the effect.

You can see how the left side of the leaf (the part that is supposed to be the most stiff) moves quite a bit.

I created a vertex map and dropped it into the Stiffness tab of the cloth tag, but it doesn't seem to do the trick.

Here is my vertex map:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Stiffen part of a cloth object
on Apr 17, 2015 at 1:07:05 am

what are your iterations set to? They should probably be higher. Apply the Vertex map to Flexion as well, it too is a form of stiffness, and increase Flexion's value as well

Return to posts index

Pravin Chottera
on Apr 22, 2015 at 5:43:08 pm

My iterations were at 50 before, but I set them to 400 and added the map to the Flexion parameter.

The tail is definitely less floppy, but I was hoping the tail would be almost rigid like a real lettuce stem would be. Increasing the iterations seems to "stiffen" the entire mesh, which was good, but not quite the effect I was hoping for. I wish there was a Starch tool or something for cloth.

But here is the before and after:

Here is the final animation:

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Apr 22, 2015 at 6:14:47 pm

but the stem of lettuce is not flat but is a tubular structure which can be a lot stronger. Modelling it that way might help (or not, as that is not what cloth is meant for) you might also want to explore soft bodies. Not that it matters now, it looks good in the final anim

Return to posts index

Pravin Chottera
on Apr 22, 2015 at 6:20:49 pm

Ah! I always forget to account for dynamics when modeling. That would definitely have been the way to go.

The lettuce was initially a soft body, but the edges weren't flapping as much as I would have liked, so I went to cloth.

But I'm definitely going to keep your point about modeling in mind. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]