MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Any way to emit particles based on an alpha channel?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian MurphyAny way to emit particles based on an alpha channel?
by on Mar 25, 2015 at 12:24:01 am

Hi all,

I'm keyframing a solid texture's alpha channel from pure white into black and using a noise pattern so it looks like a dirty erosion effect until no texture is left.

Ideally, I want to add some particles emitting from the areas that are left (still solid). Any way to do this that you know of?

Thanks,
Brian

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Any way to emit particles based on an alpha channel?
by on Mar 25, 2015 at 3:12:32 am

You can do it using Thinking Particles by way of the PMatterWaves node. First animate the alpha noise. Then copy it. In the MatterWaves node settings, set birth type to texture and then paste your alpha noise into the birth texture slot.

Return to posts index

Brian MurphyRe: Any way to emit particles based on an alpha channel?
by on Mar 25, 2015 at 2:03:57 pm

Thanks Adam, didn't even know this existed. Unfortunately, I am poorly skilled with Thinking Particles. All that node stuff borders on programming for me.

Do I just start with a standard emitter and modify the nodes to fit in the PMatterWaves node? If so, where does it get placed?
And how does the node get "attached" or reference the object from which it will be emitting based on it's texture?

Thank you sir!!
Brian

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Any way to emit particles based on an alpha channel?
by on Mar 25, 2015 at 10:51:34 pm

Fortunately it's really simple. All you need is the PMatterWaves node, a shape node, and a TP Geometry object.

Example: 8686_matterwavesbasic.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Brian MurphyRe: Any way to emit particles based on an alpha channel?
by on Mar 26, 2015 at 5:19:13 pm

Wow, that is very cool - thanks for taking the time to work that up! Very much appreciated! I'll use this in my file and see if I can get the exact result I'm looking for.

Brian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]