MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Bunkspeed to C4D, best import method?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Gottschalk
Bunkspeed to C4D, best import method?
on Mar 17, 2015 at 4:40:00 pm

hi—

I need to import a model of a complex vehicle created in Bunkspeed into Cinema 4D

I've received a DXF file of the model and have opened the original in two ways: simply opening the DXF file; and renaming a copy with the .c4d extension to open.

Both methods open the file with a single five-sided polygon and a simple texture.

Is there a method or step that I am missing before I start to go back and forth with the Bunkspeed artist's export settings?

I appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,
Mike

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Bunkspeed to C4D, best import method?
on Mar 17, 2015 at 7:06:45 pm

just opening the file as a *dxf is the way to go, provided the model is compatible with C4D.

From the help file:

"CINEMA 4D can interpret DXF files up to AutoCAD version 12 (or export filters from other applications that are 100% compatible - whereby the emphasis lies on 100%) and can also correctly interpret the following elements: SOLID, 3D FACE, LINE, POLYLINE, CIRCLE, ARC, POINT and TRACE. All three-dimensional data is read in accurately. All documented POLYLINE combinations as well as height and elevation data are supported. The same is true of element coordinate systems, layer names and various line thicknesses.

When importing DXF files, it is best not to import 2D/3D solids where possible. Instead, use the 3D Face entity. The reason why solids are best avoided is that they must be converted to polygons by CINEMA 4D and the result is not always perfect and manual reworking of the mesh may be required.

Return to posts index

Mike Gottschalk
on Mar 23, 2015 at 7:43:51 pm
Last Edited By Mike Gottschalk on Mar 23, 2015 at 7:44:27 pm

Thank you, Adam

I'll try to troubleshoot with my Bunkspeed artist

So far, opening this way has yielded a single face for a complex model, so I will confirm his AutoCAD version#, and perhaps try via FBX or DAE (Collada) in the meantime

I appreciate your help!

Mike

Return to posts index

Mike Gottschalk
on Mar 25, 2015 at 6:15:55 pm

The original DXF was exported at a higher AutoCAD version than v12

So I had the artist export a v12 DXF, which appears to contain the complete model as spline objects, but only a few corners are visible in the viewport.

I am also trying an FBX export from Bunkspeed. I'll post notes on progress for future generations.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]