MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Depth Map Dilemma

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael GoldbergDepth Map Dilemma
by on Mar 13, 2015 at 2:18:19 am

Hi,
I came across an interesting dilemma -
I have a scene with DOF. I'm using the standard renderer.
I created the focus distance and rear blur in the depth settings.
I love the way the blur looks. My plan was to render the scene with a depth map, so I can tweak the DOF in AE. The dilemma is the Depth map doesn't match the blur that I like in C4D. I noticed I did not have "use gradients" checked in the Depth of field render settings. When I check Use gradients, the DOF and DM match. So the dilemma is, how to get the DM when use gradients is unchecked. I saw in the manual that it ignores the Rear blur and Front blur settings in this state, and just uses the focus distance. Any idea how to match this blur and map as this blur seems to be closer to what I want.
Thoughts?

Mike

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Depth Map Dilemma
by on Mar 13, 2015 at 3:09:19 am

My preference is to render out a depth map without front/rear distance if I'm going to use it in AE. Front/rear blue and focal distance can be done in AE.

Return to posts index

Michael GoldbergRe: Depth Map Dilemma
by on Mar 13, 2015 at 12:32:36 pm

How do you do that?
My original render had settings for front and rear blur, but the depth map didn't match. When I turned the front and rear off, it didn't render any depth? Are you rendering a separate map using a separate scene file?

Mike

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Depth Map Dilemma
by on Mar 13, 2015 at 3:39:32 pm

What I do is use rear blur only. I set the target distance to the near-most object in my scene (or 0 if you want the floor blurred). Then I set start distance to 0 and the end distance to the last object in my scene. That should give you a constant gradient from near to far.

Here's a little video tut I did on DOF a long time ago -- as you can tell from the C4D GUI: http://www.3danvil.com/tutorials/DOF_Effect/DOF_Effect.html

Return to posts index

Michael GoldbergRe: Depth Map Dilemma
by on Mar 14, 2015 at 8:00:26 pm

Hi Adam,
Yeah, I get the camera distances and how they work. I guess where I'm getting confused is that everything works as expected if I check Use gradients in the Post effect. If I uncheck Use gradients, it ignores the Rear and Front distances, and only uses the Focus Distance. Sometimes this gives me a nicer looking blur. However, when rendering a depth multipass, this does not match the blur if use gradients is unchecked. not sure why? I'm guessing if use gradients is off, it calculates the front and rear based on the furthest objects in your scene. I guess I'll try and set my distances further to match that.

MG

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]