MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Erode a model

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Murphy
Erode a model
on Feb 26, 2015 at 6:27:45 pm

In trying to erode/remove or chip away at a model, I've tried boolean but the erosion pattern is specific. In my scene, a tool is used to erode an object, starting at the corner and working toward the back, moving randomly side to side during the process. Think of using an electric sander on a piece of pie, starting at the tip and erasing back to the crust.

I've even tried using a windy sweep nurbs in a boolean to track the tool's tip and erase the object as it goes but the sweep has to overlap itself and that leaves an "adding" to it which leaves pieces of the object.

Is there no procedural way to erode a model with a little control? Plugins?

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Erode a model
on Feb 28, 2015 at 6:08:17 am

erase a small amount each pass with no pieces? Chunks? Have you already solved it?

Return to posts index

Brian Murphy
on Feb 28, 2015 at 5:22:19 pm

That's basically what I did, Brian, thank you. Sounds like there's nothing that can do this automatically so I used a boolean to "erase" the model, shaping the "eraser" progressively with a deformer cage to follow the tool's tip. It could be better but the client ended up liking it so looks like I'm good.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Feb 28, 2015 at 8:38:00 pm

it is possible to take out chunks pretty easily with 'pre-chunked' geometry (Thrausi, Nitroblast etc.) like this

8615_erodetrial.c4d.zip

but to get 'sanding' smooth removal of material another possibility would be to lay down a trail of particles in a metaball, if the particles have no speed they are just a trail of the emitters movement, if the emitter slowed down it's rate should slow down too and that should be possible with some xpresso

8617_erodetrial2.c4d.zip

perhaps displacement would work too but negative displacement of the 'pie' would break if pushed too far, however, it might be possible to displace your cutting boole outward to take away material - painting a texture to follow - don't know how hard that would be.

Return to posts index

Brian Murphy
on Mar 1, 2015 at 10:23:03 pm

Thank you for investing the time in creating these files, Brian. They definitely inspire different ways to go about this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]