MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Displacement map not working properly

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott MillsDisplacement map not working properly
by on Feb 16, 2015 at 7:56:14 am

Hello, I've been at this al day and I've tried everything I'm familiar with and I just don't get it.

Problem. Displacement is really blurry and stretched in areas when I use flat or spacial, and cubic doesn't stretch anything and would look great except that it's super blocky on the object and with displacement there are different parts that poke through and that won't do for video.

I have tried:
-Using the displacer effector on the sphere inside a hypernurbs
-Using the displacement on the material itself just on the sphere and on the hypernurbs
-Using stick texture on the hypernurbs and the sphere and the sphere inside the hypernurbs (many strange things happen here, none of them useful)
-playing with anything I can think of.

I can't think of a way to get it to stay a solid mesh over the surface of the object so that the material applies it's effects properly due to the mapping in the material. If anyone has any insight I would greatly appreciate it.

Link saved with assets:
8563_fleshyroboblob.c4d.zip

Cheers!
-Scott

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Displacement map not working properly
by on Feb 16, 2015 at 8:49:52 am

hull07b.jpg (Mat.1, preset://epic pack vip.lib4d/tex)
Normal bb.tga (Mat.1, preset://epic pack vip.lib4d/tex)

both are missing, try "Save Project With Assets..."

Return to posts index

Scott MillsRe: Displacement map not working properly
by on Feb 16, 2015 at 9:57:09 am
Last Edited By Scott Mills on Feb 16, 2015 at 4:14:29 pm

Um... I did. Any Idea why it didn't work?

It's so silly that c4d doesn't have a show file in finder option for fishing out the tex. They aren't actually there on my computer either. Buried invisibly in the .lib file apparently.

Nvm, that pack is a free pack so here's that. Silly c4d:
Nope... 103.4 MB... over limit.. Well, this sucks. Is there a way to separate a material from it's library and retain the assets for it?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 16, 2015 at 5:07:35 pm
Last Edited By Brian Jones on Feb 16, 2015 at 5:13:08 pm

yes the originals are inside a .lib4d file but 'save with assets' creates an entire folder with your c4d file and a tex folder with any images inside it (even if they are in a lib4d). You have to choose a place to save it so it must be there.

I found the epic pack, downloading...

Return to posts index

by on Feb 16, 2015 at 10:13:44 pm

Worked this time. I must have screwed it up by clicking to overwrite the c4d file I previously saved without the assets.

So here's that if it's easier :)
8567_blob.zip

Return to posts index

by on Feb 17, 2015 at 4:25:50 pm

Ok having seen it, you are using the first option (displacer effector on sphere) but I'm not understanding what you are after in the texture. The displacer is animating the blob do you want the texture to stretch or not stretch with the animation?
Why is the Cubic super blocky? can you post a screen grab showing what you mean for that?

???

Return to posts index

by on Feb 18, 2015 at 3:47:53 am

Ah. Ok What I'm after:

-Material to be properly wrapped around the finished, displaced shape
-NOT stretched

After turning the displacer off it seems that UVW mapping is exactly what I want on the sphere, but when the displacer is on it gets stretched and blurry. I had the displacement turned on originally in the material and it did this or worse so I made an identical displacer deformer and put it in a hypernurbs and put the material on that instead hoping it would fix this, to no avail. Seems the material is still affecting the object pre-displacement, but I want it to affect it post displacement. I hope this is possible.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 19, 2015 at 3:52:53 am

everything except Frontal and Camera Mapping will stretch with the displacing sphere (because the faces stretch) even Cubic (though Cubic will appear not stretched if the camera lines up with one of the cubic faces). Also Cubic has the 'seams' where the faces meet (which can be dealt with (sort of ) using the file linked to in post #4 in this thread http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=47&t=1255649

Return to posts index

by on Feb 19, 2015 at 9:39:16 pm

Yes, if you are mapping the sphere and then displacing it. That's not what I'm after. Like I said I'm after the finished displaced object to be UVW mapped. Hence mapping the hypernurbs object with the sphere inside it. Unfortunately this bypasses the hypernurbs and just maps the objects inside it anyway. Is there no way to map the hyperhurbs object itself?

I've heard about baking. Would baking the full animation with the displacer and then applying the material to the bake work? If so how do I do that? Or is that not what baking is?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]