MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Smoke Trail Issues

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Josefik
Smoke Trail Issues
on Feb 13, 2015 at 8:51:48 pm

I am trying to get a smoke trail to follow a rocket, but I am having some issues. I cannot parent the emitter to the rocket because the rocket is traveling along a path using Spline Wrap (so that the rocket deforms when moving around) but that means the object isn't technically moving. The emitter just sits at the starting point. When I try to make the emitter follow along the same path (moved into position) it lags behind the rocket.

Should I be setting this up differently?

8554_smoketrail.c4d.zip

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

James Hernandez
Re: Smoke Trail Issues
on Feb 15, 2015 at 9:26:02 pm

Personally, I think it would be much easier to render the rocket without the smoke trail and simply track the rocket later in your editing program with a smoke trail .png animation/video.

Return to posts index

Michael Josefik
on Feb 16, 2015 at 3:47:04 pm

Yea, I could do that. Though I was using this project as a learning experience and wanted to try and do the whole thing, or whatever I could, in C4D. I will do it in After Effects for now, but if anyone has any ideas on how to make the smoke trails work in C4D I'd still like to hear them to play around with in the future.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Feb 16, 2015 at 5:44:21 pm

it is possible (with some xpresso) to get the emitter to follow the deformed rocket (the Point node can do that) but the rocket is moving so fast here there are going to be problems and some hand tweaking is going to be necessary. I tried with the standard emitter, TP and x-particles and all have problems at that speed - as long as you want the rocket to deform with the spline it's going to be more difficult.

Usual rocket is more like this http://helloluxx.com/tutorials/cinema4d-2/cinema4d-thinking-particles/sub-f... and without a spline wrap you can make the emitter be the parent of a rocket (like in reality) and then keeping them together is easy

Return to posts index

Michael Josefik
on Feb 16, 2015 at 6:46:59 pm

Thanks Brian, good quick video. What I am eventually trying to create is an improved version of this.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ7Eh8t14OM which was really my first attempt to build and animate a scene. I was just never REALLY satisfied with it and now I have some time to go back and learn how to do it right :D Mostly get some better lighting and camera movements along with making the smoke, grass and fuses have a more "realistic" look. Here is a test render I have been working on http://youtu.be/7VIlEwJSrqU.

I liked the bendy quality the spline wrap gave the rocket, but the speed at which the rocket is traveling might make it not worth the trouble in the long run.

Thanks for the advice, I will start playing around with TP. I unfortunately don't have xParticles and cannot get the demo version working.

And again, I am trying to learn here so if you see anything else you have a tip on in that first animation, or the second for that matter, let me know.

Return to posts index

Michael Josefik
on Feb 16, 2015 at 8:22:57 pm

Not sure why those links arent working from the post, but if you copy and paste the URLs they should work

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Feb 16, 2015 at 9:28:52 pm

with the cartoony look the spline wrap is a good thing - even more realistic it's still cartoony by today's standards. I'd do the hand tweak (which isn't hard if you have the timeline up and select the emitter in the OM so you can watch it's progress then it's just a matter of playing with the F-Curve of the Align To Spline to keep the emitter inside the rocket, after it starts, so the particles appear right at the end of the rocket. Here's a quick trial of that 8566_smoketrail1.c4d.zip

one spline with intermediate points set to uniform (makes following the rocket much easier) - note it is possible to stick the emitter to the deformed rocket with xpresso (using the Point node) but that just makes hand tweaking harder than an align to spline....

In the Imagine bumper spot the major thing I see is the timing of the camera move, otherwise it's pretty good, I like the fuzes but it might be nice to have a 'sparkler' at the burn point. The camera move is off, I think, my first thought would be a cut from one (position) to the other right as the detonator T is at it's highest point

Return to posts index

Michael Josefik
on Feb 26, 2015 at 5:43:37 am

Sorry, I thought I replied to this a while ago and just noticed that I did not. Thanks for the help and the feedback. After playing around with it for a while I found that I could not achieve the look I was going for so I am going to do the smoke in AE.

I agree with the camera move. I was never really happy with it.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]